Director of Operations
Construction - Office Boynton Beach, Florida
Who We Are
Mattamy Homes is the largest privately owned homebuilder in North America, with a nearly 40-year history of operations across the United States and Canada. Every year, Mattamy helps 7,000 families realize their dream of home ownership. In the United States, the company is represented in 10 markets –Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Phoenix, Tucson, Jacksonville, Orlando (where its US head office is located), Tampa, Sarasota, Naples and Southeast Florida – and in Canada, those communities stretch across the Greater Toronto Area, as well as in Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton.
What We Offer
In keeping with the Mattamy Mission of providing The Best Homeowner Experience, the Director of Operations will lead, inspire and manage the division’s Operation team, which encompasses Construction, Warranty Services and Purchasing. As part of the leadership team, this individual will be responsible for developing and executing a strategic plan, achieving business objectives, meeting customer commitments and delivering homes on time and within budget. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for overall people management of the Construction staff, including talent identification, recruiting, and development
- Developing, implementing and communicating more value driven construction techniques and production procedures, while at the same time continually looking to recommend value-engineering and other cost saving opportunities
- Developing, monitoring and adhering to the building budgets, work schedules, labor forecasts with a view towards maximumefficiency
- Review and understand market trends and identify opportunities for the company.
- Review budgets with an understanding of market pricing.
- Financial acumen on construction financials to include house cost and overhead management.
- Skill level in forecasting business plan and meeting budgets and goals set for department
- Develop relationships with new vendors for building vendor bench strength
- Partner with division leaders to establish standard product for the division. Establish standard construction specifications and provide accurate cost information on various spec levels. Value- engineer each product to ensure maximum efficiency.
- Develop strong partnerships with trades, ensuring performance in accordance with scopes of work and high focus on quality.
- Negotiate and solicit the best price/value combination from suppliers and trade contractors; analyze cost comparisons and differences in products and services on long term/short term contract agreements, while ensuring the correct amount of product or service is received at the appropriate time.
- Participate in review, development and analysis of scopes of work aimed at quality control and standardization of equipment, materials, supplies and services. Conduct analysis of drawings for value engineering opportunities and pricing thereof.
- Study existing or new design drawings and keep abreast of changes impacting supply of materials in order to reassess budgets and amend forecasts.
- Act as liaison between subcontractors, construction, marketing, sales, customer service and land departments. Address and resolve issues involving trades and/or builders, as needed.
- Continually search for new products, materials and processes that will better suit our customers.
- Prepare quantity take-offs from working or design drawings for budgeting or bid purposes.
- Participate in site visits and work with construction team members in order to check performance of trades against scope of work/contract.
- Oversee all warranty activities to ensure excellence and consistency as defined by superior quality workmanship to ensure customer satisfaction
- Ensure Warranty team completes 30/60 Day and 1- Year Warranty Service Requests (W.S.R.)
- Ensure W.S.R. to trades are issued in a timely manner and appropriate charge backs and payments are made
- Review work schedules completed by Warranty Team and provide Warranty Coordinator with lists of trade/construction contacts tobe made to complete warranty work.
- Inspect work completed by Warranty Service Techs based on an agreed upon schedule and provide ongoing guidance and technical support/advice.
- Manage all emergency service requests processes as needed after closing.
- Provide service maintenance for the Model Homes and Sale Offices.
- Manage Warranty Team by providing ongoing development, coaching, counseling and conducting annual reviews.
- Participate in the continuous refinement of the Quality Assurance (QA) process..
- Responsible for conciliation management.
- Participate in customer satisfaction initiatives, such as reviewing and managing AVID customer satisfaction reporting.
What You Bring
- Post-secondary education and minimum 10 years suitable work experience in the construction field.
- Several years progressive experience in the residential construction industry, to include purchasing and warranty
- Must possess or obtain (within 6 months of employment) a General Contractor’s license within the divisions respective jurisdictions
- Demonstrated ability to work with external parties, including homeowners, local and provincial construction associations, trade partners, suppliers, industry peers
- Extremely well-organized, flexible, ability to prioritize workloads, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Understanding of the Phoenix Building Code, National Electrical Code, OSHA Guidelines, and other applicable building codes and practices.
- Experience in computerized environment for production planning, ordering, analysis etc.
- Professional experience dealing ethically with people/situations/issues and ability to demonstrate what processes are applied in decision-making which reflect professionalism and integrity.
- Solid understanding of generally accepted purchasing principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of house building and construction material purchasing.
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills.
- Excellent mathematical skills with the ability to analyze, look for trends and superior estimating skills.
- Prior experience in preparing and analyzing budgets
- Superior computer skills in MS Office – in particular Excel.
- Knowledge of Build-Pro/Supply-Pro preferred
- Knowledge of JDE Edwards preferred