The Director of Operations, CVI Laser Optics is a key position for the business unit responsible for identifying, defining and leading opportunities to improve operational and cost-effectiveness, production planning and customer satisfaction through the deployment of improved processes. This leader will plan, organize and implement standard operating procedures for Production Scheduling, Component, Sub-Assembly, and Assembly Manufacturing, Demand Planning/Management, Procurement/ Sourcing, and Materials/Inventory Management. This position will be leading a team of production and professional employees and managers to achieve the business units financial commitments and deliver results from robust plans that satisfy safety, quality, delivery and productivity metrics. The CVI Laser Optics business unit is a part of the IDEX Optical Technologies platform.
- Be accountable for defining resource needs and works within budget and staffing parameters to accomplish objectives for area of responsibility
- Coach and mentors his/her team to improve engagement with key stakeholders and to establish communication channels between the cross-functional teams
- Deploy demand-driven supply chain strategy, processes, and tools that support customer demand and is in line with the business unit’s long-range plans
- Directs and coordinates activities of all aspects of manufacturing departments, to include supply chain, optics shop, coating department, assembly manufacturing, and shipping
- Establish monthly and annual goals and objectives with CVI leadership; review achievements and discuss required changes, current status, and progress on goals and initiatives
- Establish supplier management programs and build supplier management capabilities. Then develop plans for improvements in cost, quality, and delivery for relevant suppliers (local and global) with scorecards/metrics to manage suppliers
- Implement best practices for Material/Inventory Management including planning, Purchasing Methods, Warehouse Management, and Advanced Replenishment Methods
- Improve business performance through the development and use of improved processes, tools and metrics
- Increases productivity, capacity and on-time delivery (OTD) by scheduling allocating resources and training of staff. Develop and challenge that staff to improve performance through systems utilization and process improvements using Lean Tools
- Lead and improve Demand Planning to align financial, operational and material plan via a robust SIOP process
- Drive initiatives to ensure continuity of supply throughout the operations to achieve uninterrupted supply of quality components and assemblies
- Manage all aspects of manufacturing operations while delivering customer OTD delivery of >98% to all 80 customers and implementing 8020 insights to the total business
- Organizes and prioritizes work assignment to complete assignments/tasks on time, with quality, and demonstrate the ability to anticipate problem areas in advance
- Reviews and analyzes activities, costs, operations, and forecast data to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives
- Work closely with functional leaders and their teams to achieve operational objectives in cost, quality, delivery, lead time and inventory management
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, or scientific discipline. Advanced degree, MS and/or MBA, is preferred.
- 10 years of experience of technical and management experience in an operations leadership (manufacturing and supply chain) and/or factory management; this should include seven-plus years of experience in Operations, Supply Chain and Continuous Improvement and three-plus managing those teams
- Ability to reduce inventory in a low volume / high mix production environment
- Demonstration of sound application of continuous improvement skills in an industrial environment; Six Sigma / Lean Certification preferred
- Excellent business and commercial acumen and change agent skills
- Experience in the design, development, and implementation of manufacturing processes in a complex industrial or heavy equipment industry; able to manage projects of varying complexity and scope
- Familiar with the use of computer-aided design software; preferably ProE.
- Material management experience driving on-time delivery
- Strong knowledge of relevant Supply Chain best practices, multi-step strategic sourcing processes and/or category management strategies and use of ERP/MRP systems
- This position requires compliance with ITAR Regulations; this person must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident.