The Director of Operations plans and directs all aspects of the operations and maintenance of the facilities, equipment and grounds in relation to day-to-day, event related and long range functions for the venue by performing the following duties, personally or through subordinate supervisors. The Director of Operations directly supervises the Operations Administration, Engineering, Information Technology, and Setup & Housekeeping Departments (with oversight over Parking garage physical structure) and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Spectra’s policies and applicable laws. Other responsibilities include overseeing the interviewing, hiring of fulltime employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; performance appraisals; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Palm Beach County Convention Center opened its doors in 2004. This 350,000 square-foot center has established itself as the premier boutique’ meeting destination in South Florida and one of the top convention centers in the country; hosting a diverse array of conventions, trade shows/consumer shows, conferences, social events, and meetings located in the Heart of Downtown West Palm Beach. The convention center is an architectural masterpiece designed with the look and feel of a luxurious cruise ship. It features a 100,000 square-foot exhibit hall, a 22,000 sq. ft. ballroom and 21,000 sq. ft. of flexible breakout space divisible into 19 rooms with various room size options and endless set-up possibilities, the Palm Beach County Convention Center is the ideal event and meeting destination.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures and priorities of assigned programs and functions.
- Assume day-to-day as well as long term management responsibility for all services and activities involved in the maintenance and operations of the facility including HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, IT, communications, fire protection, life safety and grounds keeping.
- Assure the highest quality service to all clients, both internal and external, by establishing and maintaining goals and supervising managers.
- Develop and maintain Renewal & Replacement capital project program. Act as liaison with appointed County staff to enact the plan. Oversee implementation of the plan at the facility.
- Serve as principal facility liaison to the Palm Beach County Departments: Facilities Development & Operations (FDO), Electronic Services & Security (ESD) and Information Systems Services (ISS). Ensure full compliance of facility obligations under service agreements between the parties.
- Serve as principal facility liaison to Palm Beach County during any future renovation or expansion projects.
- Select, train, motivate and evaluate management and staff; provide or coordinate staff training and safety programs; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
- Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for facility maintenance and operations; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow and reporting relationships; inspect work product of subordinates to ensure accuracy and timeliness of completion; meet with staff to review and evaluate work products, methods, and procedures; identify and resolve challenges.
- Develop, implement and maintain standard operating procedures for each area of responsibility, including an effective preventive and corrective maintenance program through use of a maint record keeping system.
- Prepare and administer departmental annual budget.
- Supervise the disbursement of departmental funds (incl payroll); establish and maintain controls to ensure budget appropriations are not exceeded; forecast additional fund needs for labor, equipment, materials, & supplies; implement adjustments as necessary. Maintain cost records of work performed and prepare cost estimates as requested.
- Administer maintenance and service contracts (i.e. HVAC, elevators, pest control, landscape, fire systems, roofing, etc.) with vendors. Serve as facility contact and ensure compliance with agreements.
- Remain conversant in and ensure compliance with relevant federal, state & local laws, codes, and regulations (OSHA). Ensure all annual licenses and permits are current. Ensures facility safety precautions and emergency procedures are followed to mitigate Risk Management needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or required.
- Bachelor’s / Technical Degree from an accredited college or university with a concentration in Facility Management, Business Admin, Public Admin, Engineering or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in facility operations management in a similar supervisory role.
- Staff management experiencerequired.
- Industry experience (Convention Center / Hotel / Public Assembly Facility) is preferred, and may be substituted for educational experience.
- Prior experience with major renovation or expansion projects a plus.
Skills and Abilities:
- Acts as Manager on Duty as required. Ability to work nights, weekends and holidays as required.
- Be a business partner with other departments insuring financial & operational success of the venue.
- Extensive knowledge of the operational aspects of a facility.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills and organizational ability.
- Effective supervisory skills.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Must pass background and credit check per guidelines