AECOM is seeking a Director of Operations in our Facilities Operations & Maintenance group. This is a senior level management position, and will be located contingent upon the needs of the business.
The Director of Operations will support our global organization of hourly employees, engineering support, and site management providing services to multiple clients with numerous manufacturing, research & development, and logistics facilities located nationwide, and will require up to 50% travel throughout continental United States.
This position is responsible for facility management operational delivery for a specific account within the Facilities Operations & Maintenance portfolio, and may have an opportunity to broaden into process/production management scopes. Reporting to the General Manager, this position oversees domestic operations nationwide.
Prior experience should include demonstrated leadership ability; a strong technical background in and understanding of operations in an industrial / manufacturing / research facilities environment; exceptional communication skills; financial and strategic planning; employee supervision and mentoring; customer relations and client partnering mentality.
- Manages 24x7 operations and maintenance function to include such facilities as research campuses, office complexes, industrial plants, etc.
- Typically manages a group of 5 – 10 distinct facility locations
- Maintains staff supporting 24x7 operations of all critical building support systems (HVAC, Electrical, Lab support, etc)
- Provides 24x7 up time to onsite computer server facility, UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) systems and emergency/critical generators
- Manages multiple subcontractors supporting the operations and maintenance functions
- Exercises direct P&L responsibility including budgets, contract negotiations, and operational oversight.
- Manages all aspects of the contract with the client
- Assumes additional duties as directed by the General Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Facility Management, Maintenance Management or a related discipline.
- Twelve years of management level experience.
- Functional background related to production, process or facilities maintenance / management, such as contracts, procurement, facility / plant management, real estate management, operations management, or sales / marketing management.
- Must be willing to relocate to serve the needs of the business, or be willing travel up to 50%.
- Qualified applicants who are offered a position must pass a pre-employment substance abuse test.
- This position requires a valid Driver’s License.
- This position does not include sponsorship for United States work authorization.
- This position will require the ability to obtain a security access badge at our client’s location.
- This position may require various shifts, weekends, and alternative work schedules.
- Requires ability to read and understand information contained in a variety of documents or displayed on a computer screen.
- Requires ability to use a variety of office equipment and to operate a computer keyboard to access data bases, to send/receive messages and to prepare documents.
- Requires ability to attend meetings throughout the site and potentially travel to other AECOM, customer and/or vendor locations in the area, as well as some air travel to more distant locations.
- Requires the ability to communicate with others on the telephone and in one-on-one or group discussions, meetings and presentations.
- Demonstrated fluency in computer use including the full Microsoft product line.
- Requires the ability to walk extensively throughout diverse work environments as required by business demand.
- Some tasks will require repetitive wrist movements.
- Requires some moving of light to medium weight materials into desks, filing cabinets and other storage locations.
- Requires the ability to interact with all clients in a professional and friendly manner despite periods of stress.
- Wear steel toe safety shoes, safety glasses, gloves, hard hats and other Personal Protective Equipment as needed.
- Cope with demands (stressors) that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable levels of performance and overall contribution are maintained.
- Staff management experience, including disciplinary action, hiring, terminating, and performance appraisals
- Extensive experience with key performance metrics or performance programs with ability to manage toward targeted goals.
- Financial management experience including Profit/Loss ownership and/or budget management.
- Experience in contract or pricing negotiations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs such as Power Point and Visio.
- Certification or formal training from Facility Maintenance Organizations such as IFMA, AFE or BOMA.
- Consistent demonstration of the ability to proactively identify potential problems or opportunities, analyze issues using all appropriate resources, develop alternatives, and drive process and procedure improvement to mitigate problems or leverage opportunities.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Outlook, and Word.