SCA, a leader in the outpatient surgery industry, strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical facilities. SCA operates more than 200 surgical facilities, including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in partnership with approximately 3,000 physicians. For more information on SCA,
The facility is a newly formed multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center expected to open in July 2018. It is located on the campus of Tucson Medical Center. The center will focus predominantly on outpatient orthopedic and spine surgery, with some urological procedures and general surgeries as well. At its peak, it is expected to facilitate several thousand surgeries per year, utilizing four operating rooms. The center is a partnership between physicians, Tucson Medical Center, and SCA.
Accountabilities / Responsibilities
The Director of Nursing (DON) is responsible for all aspects of nursing care delivery in the facility. The DON may also serves as Education Coordinator and as manager of the Quality Improvement/Risk Management Program and assumes some responsibility of the CEO in his/her absence. As a Registered Nurse, the DON is also responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and coordinating patient care from admission to discharge.
As a newly opened center, the DON will be responsible not only for supervising but also for establishing all aspects of the clinical operation and leading newly hired teammates in their implementation. This will be done in collaboration with the center’s physician partners, the CEO and with the collaboration, support and resources of SCA.
- Leads the entire clinical team in providing quality nursing care for patients receiving care.
- Assesses, plans, evaluates and ensures the implementation of the patients care to achieve identified outcomes. Delivers safe patient care according to facility policy and procedure.
- Supervises team adherence to established facility safety requirements and procedures to ensure a safe working environment.
- Completes all documentation to ensure the availability of accurate and up to date information in accordance with established standards.
- Interviews, selects and retains qualified clinical staff to meet facility needs. Also assures replacement of marginal staff members before having negative impact on peers.
- Responsible for ongoing accreditation programs in areas of quality improvement, risk management, infection control, facility and fire safety.
- Leads scheduled performance appraisals and demonstrates dedication to ongoing performance improvement.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the facility’s CEO.
- Current Arizona RN Licensure (or ability to obtain)
- Experience in ambulatory surgery nursing, at least two (2) to five (5) years of nursing and management experience in a hospital or ambulatory surgery center is desired
- Skills and Abilities
- Correlating clinical data with patient’s medical and nursing care
- Setting priorities, promoting efficiency, and directing others toward those objectives
- Communicating effectively with patients, families, Teammates, physicians, other healthcare workers
- Recognizing legal and policy limits of individual practice
- Directing and providing for patient care in emergency situations
- Successful completion of:
- Basic Life Support (BLS)/Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) within 90 days of employment or documentation of current BLS/BCLS certification
- ACLS Course within 90 days of employment or documentation of current ACLS certification
- PALS Course within 90 days of employment or documentation of current PALS certification – preferred