The Director, Nursing assumes twenty-four hour responsibility and accountability for planning, organizing, developing, evaluating and directing the overall operation of the nursing department in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations. Accountable for establishing and monitoring quality standards of care to ensure that the highest degree of quality care is maintained at all times.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: Identifies and suggests innovative approaches and participates in implementing performance improvement opportunities. Maintains compliance with Presbyterian SeniorCare Network policy and procedure in accordance with governing laws, regulations, regulatory agencies, accreditation bodies and community standards. Demonstrates on a consistent basis individual and team behavior that supports Person-Centered, Woodwell and Woodside philosophies of Presbyterian SeniorCare Network. Consistently upholds the mission, values and behavior standards of Presbyterian SeniorCare Network. Maintains confidentiality. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Plans, develops, organizes, evaluates and directs the nursing service department as well as its program and activities, in accordance with current rules, regulations and guidelines that govern long term care facilities.
2. Support, implement and monitor the Studer principles from Hardwiring Excellence to enhance accountability.
3. Participates in and monitors completion of the Rounding for Outcomes process.
4. Is aware of staff performance ranking of High-Medium-Low (H-M-L). Assists as needed in the development of coaching plans for staff who are low performers. On a regular basis, monitors the progress of coaching plans.
5. Ensures that performance evaluations are completed accurately and processed in a timely manner. Ensures that performance evaluations, in sphere of influence, are completed and returned to Human Resources by the due date 90% of the time.
6. Monitors and/or participates in interviews (e.g. 30-60-90 day interviews) with new employees.
7. Establishes, monitors and controls the standards of performance for the nursing department. Serves to promote excellence in nursing practice through the implementation of Best Practices, quality improvement projects and quality monitoring.
8. Performs all professional nursing duties including resident assessment and care delivery as needed.
9. Develops, implements, evaluates, and updates written policies and procedures for the nursing department, ensuring quality care. Ensures that nursing personnel comply with all established policies and procedures.
10. As a member of the Presbyterian SeniorCare Network Directors, Nursing (PSCN-DON) group, participates in the development and ongoing review of job descriptions for each level of nursing personnel in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, OSHA and other pertinent laws and regulations.
11. Promotes and interprets infection control policies and procedures. Monitors infection control practices. Reports occupational exposures to blood, bloody fluid, infectious materials and hazardous chemicals in accordance with established policies and procedures. Develops, implements and maintains a program for monitoring communicable and/or infectious diseases. Ensures that nursing personnel follow established infection control procedures.
12. Interviews, hires, orients, evaluates, coaches, counsels and disciplines nursing personnel. Develops strategies for employee recruitment and retention.
13. Ensures that disciplinary action is administered in a timely and consistent and equitable method.
14. Develops, implements and maintains an effective orientation program that orients new employees to the facility, its policies and procedures and to the specific job positions and duties.
15. Ascertains, acquires and allocates human and material resources for nursing service operations.
16. Monitors and approves employee time records.
17. Acts as resident advocate.
18. Interacts with residents and family members to promote communication, good guest relations and works to resolve family concerns.
19. Attends regularly scheduled in-services to improve administrative and clinical skills.
20. Monitors and ensures that equipment and work areas are clean, safe and orderly. Promptly addresses hazardous conditions as they arise.
21. Attends and participates in staff and management meetings.
22. Monitors resident care hours to meet the total nursing needs of the residents and regulatory requirements. Reviews census on a daily basis. Recommends the number and level of nursing
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. S.) from an accredited college or university; and 4 years related experience or 8 years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
Req # 6180