The primary objective of the position within the organization is to provide effective management and sound leadership to the nursing team and function as an active participant in the interdisciplinary management of the facility. As the Director of Nursing Services, he/she is accountable for creating a team within his/her department that will distinguish itself within this facility and the industry as delivering excellent person-centered based services, ensuring complete medical records and ensuring resident/family satisfaction. In addition, the department will operate in accordance with current state and federal regulations and clinical standards of practice. In this role, the DNS will budget, plan, organize, develop, and direct the overall operations of the Nursing Service Department.
1) Specifically plan, develop, organize, implement, evaluate and direct the Nursing Service Department in accordance with current rules, regulations, guidelines and strategic plan that govern this long-term care facility.
2) Specifically develop, maintain and annually update and review written policies and procedures that govern the daily function of the nursing department.
3) Make written/oral reports/recommendations to the Executive Director as necessary/required, concerning the operation of the Nursing Service Department in your facility.
4) Assume administrative authority, responsibility and accountability in the absence of the Executive Director.
5) Oversee and coordinate the development, maintenance and implementation of quality assurance programs.
6) Participate in selection of residents (or delegates function) for admission to the facility in cooperation with the facility Social Worker or designee.
7) Assist in the recruitment and selection of personnel assigned to your area of responsibility.
8) Determine departmental staffing needs necessary to meet the various departments' schedules and assign a sufficient number of personnel for each tour of duty.
9) Coordinate through Staff Development, the planning, conducting, scheduling, etc. of inservice training classes, on-the-job training and orientation programs for nursing service personnel.
10) Assist in preparing, planning and developing the Department's budget for forecasting purposes and submit to the Executive Director for review, recommendation and approval.
11) Performs all other duties or special assignments as directed by the Executive Director.
- Graduate of an accredited RN program, BSN preferred, not required.
- Current CPR certification.
- Licensed as Registered Nurse in the State of Minnesota.
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal background check.
- Ability to pass back assessment specific to the DNS position.
- Three years of geriatric nursing experience with a minimum of two years of the three in a skilled nursing care facility, preferred.
- Minimum of three years in administrative/supervisory experience in health care setting, preferred.