Under the guidance of the Sr. Hospital Administrator, the Director of Nursing is responsible for the delivery of patient care that promotes safety and well-being of all patients in the Hospital and clinic areas. Plans, directs, coordinates and evaluates the overall clinical nursing practice and administrative activities, including assisting with fiscal, material and human resource management. Participates with administration, medical, ancillary and clinic staff in executing the hospital’s mission and vision and strategic plans. Provides administrative leadership, consultation, and support for the patient services areas. Supports an environment that ensures efficient delivery of quality patient care in a cost effective manner.
- Responsible for ensuring development and implementation of policies and procedures related to delivery of safe efficient quality nursing care and alignment with The Joint Commission, industry nursing standards, and organizational philosophies, objectives, mission and vision.
- Represents nursing function for long range planning; monitors, audits, and evaluates the quality of nursing care provided. Ensures consistent applications of nursing policies and standards throughout the organization.
- Develops strategies, objectives, and plans for outpatient and inpatient services. Develops and implements short- and long-term goals. Directs the activities of nursing personnel assigned to the position to develop and achieve goals and objectives that are consistent with those of the Hospital Strategic Plan/Performance Work Statement as well as Patient Care Services that reflect JCAHO and Quality Improvement Standards.
- Oversees delivery of nursing care, HR needs, and physician relations.
- In conjunction with the CMO, responsible for the supervision of the Medical Records and Quality Assurance Departments.
- Responsible for supervision and coordination of emergency and surgical support services.
- Responsible for supervision of Occupational Health and Medical Surveillance Programs.
- Manages physician schedules to ensure proper staffing for clinic and emergency room coverage.
- In conjunction with the CMO, maintains open line of communication with the Fire department. Coordinates mass casualty training between the hospital and fire department. Provides learning opportunities for the basic EMT’s.
- Identifies staffing needs and has the authority to interview, recommend for hire, counsel, and evaluate personnel within assigned areas. Continuously monitors staffing levels and adjusts as appropriate to meet various clinical care and financial objective.
- Defines nursing personnel requirements and position competencies for the nursing department. Ensures effective utilization of staff and departmental resources. Manages schedule to identify opportunities for project management within budget limitations.
- Develops nursing personnel to make effective decisions and delegate authority to lowest appropriate level through shared authority; promoting teamwork.
- Evaluates employee performance of nursing personnel against hospital, departmental and personal goals and objectives. Provides corrective counseling with appropriate documentation to staff members when necessary.
- Schedules all special procedures and surgical procedures and ensures proper staffing with qualified individuals.
- Initiates Medevac procedure for emergency transfer of patients from outer islands to Kwajalein.
- Assists with coordination of medical transfers from Kwajalein to Honolulu for higher level of care.
- Ensures open lines of communication are maintained among employees, physicians, peers, and others.
- Manages conflict resolution involving staff, physicians, patients, and personnel.
- Demonstrates visibility and accessibility to staff by making regular rounds, staff communication, and meetings.
- Collaborates with nursing and medical staff in the development and measurement of performance of standards of patient care.
- Creates an environment that facilitates innovative patient care delivery.
- Provides clinical leadership and expertise; serves as technical support and resource
- Actively attends and participates in department head and other essential committees of the medical department.
- Assess and communicates departmental need for equipment and supplies.
- Participates and promotes continuous quality improvement and management programs implementing and communicating corrective action plans and interventions.
- Maintains current professional status through active participation in appropriate professional organization.
- Maintains current US licensure and CEU requirements.
- Demonstrates experience as a manager and clinical nurse.
- Requires an RN with current US licensure and minimum of 5 years experience as a clinical nurse and at least 2 years in intensive care or emergency room setting.
- Requires at least 2 years in outpatient and/or clinic setting.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years demonstrated management and supervisory experience.
- Possess and demonstrates conflict resolutions skills.
- Diversity of experience is especially valued.
Previous experience in a Military Hospital.
Previous International Nursing Management assignment.
Experience with Joint Commission International or JCAHO standards.
Previous experience with Mass Casualty planning and execution.
Experience with Occupational Health and Medical Surveillance programs.
- Current & unrestricted license or authorizing document from any US State, District of Columbia or US Territory to provide healthcare within scope of practice.
- Current BLS certification.
- Current ACLS certification.
- Clinical specialty certifications and/or advanced education optimal.
- Experience in leading nurses, creating a vision for nursing, and being an advocate for the professional nurse, yet achieving hospital and organization wide goals.
- Demonstrated ability to effect good medical and nursing staff relations, working with qualified physicians and nurses.
- Ability to work effectively with all health care disciplines.
Other Special Qualifications:
Must be able to read, write & speak English to effectively communicate
This position is unaccompanied.
US Citizen or Permanent Resident Card is required.
US DOD CNACI or the ability to obtain one is required.