Working independently, the Merchandising Director leads the organization's strategy for product distribution across multiple channels. The principal business outcome for this role is to maximize GameStop's profitable market share by supporting the organization's ongoing merchandising strategy related to multiple, diverse gaming platforms, and a robust product assortment that can be delivered across multiple gaming platforms to an increasingly diverse customer base. This role interacts frequently and substantively with other senior leaders throughout the organization in a highly collaborative environment.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
- Develop and execute strategic plans for Hardware and future platforms or business change
- Strategy and Planning future people Development
- Manage 1 of 3 major HW suppliers/ DLC/ or Business future categories ( Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft).
- Manage Purchases and CO-OP collection daily and attain Yearly Goals set by Dept
- Select, direct, develop, and discipline team members; coach and mentor employees and provide ongoing performance feedback.
- Provide guidance, set priorities, and assist direct reports with assigned tasks.
- Interface with Sr leadership, Operations, Real Estate, Logistics, Visual Merchandising, Marketing, and other GS depts. And Organizations as needed.
- Manage team by coordinating Merchandising staffs schedules and activities. Conduct routine training for staff and field partners.
- Set challenging objectives and communicate expectations. Manage productivity ranking and improve team's performance.
- Verify execution of team's key deliverables, such as Merchandising Standards, product set integrity, product training, Point of Purchase signing, Visual merchandising, and CO-OP execution
- Escalate and resolve merchandising issues and balance inventories in the area of responsibility by: Utilizing financial data to pull key merchandising and operational reports. Interpreting data, develop action plans, and execute;
- Manage Open To Buy/ Maintain Margin Targets/ Adhere to and maintain Company Inventory levels/Meet GMROI metrics for dept and Individual metrics/ Meet Company Sales Objective
- Manage critical vendor relationships productively to maximize product availability, timely and accurate distribution, and overall relationship sustainability. Create, develop, and sustain productive business relationships internally and externally.
- Forecast and respond favorably to emerging consumer buying behaviors.
- Foster an environment that welcomes change and that promotes high levels of ingenuity and creative thinking, risk tolerance, and collaboration.
- Plan and assist with all all elements of team performance, including the acquisition, development, ongoing assessment and retention of talent needed to achieve GameStop's global and functional objectives.
- Develop appropriate financial models, budgets, and business plans when requested.
- Rapidly grow revenue and margin for all categories.
- Utilize industry connections to source unique and exclusive product assortments.
- Drive strategic development, including visual merchandising and marketing.
- Partner with other senior leaders to build the overall capability of the merchandising team.
- Able to work unconventional hours, as needed, to work collaboratively and creatively with publishers, vendors, and business units in a variety of time zones.
- Emotional Intelligence — Leveraging high levels of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness and relationship management, capacity to manage behavior, navigate social complexities and make personal decisions to achieve positive results.
- Navigating Complexity — Proactively and quickly making sense of complex issues; responding effectively to complex and ambiguous situations; communicating complicated information simply.
- Collaboration — Working effectively and cooperatively with others; establishing and maintaining good working relationships.
- Building Trusting Relationship — Using appropriate interpersonal styles to establish effective relationships with customers and internal partners; interacting with others in a way that promotes openness and trust and gives them confidence in one's intentions.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
- At least 5 years of merchandising experience required, with three or more years in a significant leadership role
- Accredited bachelor's degree in business, marketing, or related field required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Ability to understand and apply expert knowledge of GameStop's business strategy
- Expert knowledge of merchandising logistics and distribution
- Expert knowledge of direct-to-consumer and/or business-to-business sales
- Expert relationship building skills, including the capacity to predict and manage behavior, build and leverage cross-functional partnerships within and outside of the organization, and leverage influential leadership
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial ability, including high levels of risk tolerance, innovative thinking, and the ability to encourage creative and diverse thought in others
- Accountable for direct supervision of the work activities of others. Planning, monitoring and reviewing work of subordinates is required. This may include direct supervision of a shift or the coordination of multiple work groups. Makes recommendations concerning selection, termination, performance appraisal and professional development.
- Demonstrated commitment to building a diverse team that reflects our widely diverse customer base
- Expert written/verbal communication skills using spoken English, including the ability to explain complex ideas to others with varying levels of expertise throughout the organization
- Proficient ability to prepare compelling, high-impact presentations for senior organizational leaders, financiers, and other strategic and functional stakeholders and business partners
- Proficient organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple, overlapping, and potentially conflicting priorities
- Proficient performance management skills, including the ability to identify, recruit, assess, develop and align talent to achieve or exceed the team's objectives
- Proficient ability to remain highly effective under stress, and respond to pressure in a manner acceptable to others and to the organization
- Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest and ethical responsibilities