General Summary of Position:
Directs all media relations activities on behalf of MedStar Georgetown University Hospital. Designs media and social media strategies and develops media products (press releases, letters to the editor, opinion editorials, scripts, press conferences, press briefings, etc.) to maximize media exposure of MGUH clinical services and staff. Builds solid working relationships with media representatives and is proactive in initiating media contacts and events. Assumes responsibility for all media-related functions in the department in the absence of the Vice President, Public Affairs and Marketing. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and MedStar Georgetown University Hospital’s philosophy, policies, procedures and standards. Qualifications:
- Knowledge of public affairs, communications and media relations as would normally be acquired through completion of a Bachelor's degree in journalism or communications.
- A Master's degree in a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of journalism or media relations experience, two of which are in health care or a research related environment.
- Some experience working with the business press is preferred.
- Must possess outstanding news judgement and understanding of healthcare and clinical issues.
- Ability to think and plan strategically relative to media activities.
- Job requires a high level of problem solving due to the complexity of the situations encountered.
- Internal contacts with senior executives and physicians to effectively advise, consult or counsel others to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas, actions and program initiatives.
- Work assignments are generally received in the form of broad goals for area(s) of responsibility and require considerable judgement regarding the interpretation of policies, development of procedures, and selection of appropriate courses of action.
Job Requisition: 16211