The Director of Materials Management is responsible for overseeing all supply chain related activities at Anika's Bedford and international facilities involving strategic sourcing, planning, inventory control, storage/distribution and management for the manufacturing of Medical Devices and Drug Products. The Director implements processes to support corporate objectives in the areas of product development, cost control, risk management, quality and performance. The Director is a strategic thinker, motivator and an individual capable of managing complex tasks independently and is a capable leader of cross-functional teams in a fast-paced environment with strong interpersonal skills and a service orientation.
Strategic Focus Areas:
- Develop and implement supply chain strategies and initiatives in support of corporate objectives
- Evaluate and manage the supply base to deliver the most competitive total cost and quality while minimizing risk
- Develop and set strategies to ensure execution to OTIF metrics, track progress and adapt quickly to changes in demand
- Provide leadership and direction for US and Italy based personnel in materials, purchasing and warehousing
- Optimize resources within assigned areas to maintain compliance standards and cost discipline
- Provide leadership and accountability to meet corporate goals
Specific Tactical Responsibilities:
- Implement practices to identify, evaluate and manage strategic outsourcing partners for components, materials and services to support the company's customer service and cost targets
- Manage third party contract manufacturing organizations to maintain the highest quality and service levels while minimizing cost and supply risk
- Lead cross-functional teams in the implementation of enterprise wide software programs and modules
- Manage daily operational specific to the planning, purchasing, warehousing and distribution functions
- Lead the S&IOP process with internal and external customers ensuring continuous supply of product
- Develop and implement inventory plans to meet production requirements and 100% customer service
- Develop processes to continuously identify and monitor potential risks in supply base and implement plans to mitigate risks
- Analyze, develop and implement initiatives and improvements to reduce cost and improve operational efficiency
- Collaborate with Commercial, Engineering, and R&D to achieve successful transfer of new products to manufacturing; implement plans to meet new product launch delivery requirements
- Responsible for negotiating purchasing contracts and supply agreements with raw material and component vendors as well as suppliers of outside contract processes
- Collaborate effectively with Department Managers to ensure timely and thorough execution of activities required to meet customer requirements
- Ensure processes and activities are compliant with FDA current good manufacturing practices, relevant international regulations as well as OSHA and EPA requirements
- Selects, trains, mentors, evaluates and counsels staff as appropriate. Communicates with staff and promotes staff ownership in problem solving and participation in operational decision-making. The Director of Materials Management serves as a positive role model to staff, ensuring that customer service is a priority.
- Prepares annual budget, controls and reduces costs, forecasts operational needs, and reviews expenditures to ensure budget limits are not exceeded
- Other duties and projects as assigned
The Director of Materials has the primary responsibility for manufacture and delivery of product meeting internal and external customer expectations. The position requires strong analytical and persuasive skills. Management of the internal requirements is a key role of the position. Erroneous or mistimed decisions may cause critical delays or cost impact and may have an immediate effect on the company's success. The job entails assessment of data and strong analytical decision making, superior leadership, interpersonal, organizational and team-building skills.
The Director of Materials is responsible for first line supervision of exempt professionals as well as non-exempt warehouse personnel.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or the life sciences or relevant experience. Masters degree or MBA may be substituted for up to 3 years' experience.
- Minimum of 8 years' experience in Supply Chain, Operations, or Materials Management with at least 3 years in cGMP pharmaceutical or medical device manufacturing.
- Must be experienced in strategic sourcing and have a proven background of sustained cost improvement.
- 3-5 years purchasing/planning experience in a commercialized setting where manufacture of bulk active ingredients as well as finished products is conducted
- Advanced experience with quality system regulations and MRP/ ERP systems.
- Has successfully developed and implemented effective business strategies which call for coordination of activity from cross-functional areas
Desired Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- MBA degree preferred
- APICS certification, CPIM, or CPM preferred
- Strong computer skills required to perform data analysis, reporting and project planning and tracking
- Experience with business continuity planning, warehouse expansion, cold chain supply and inventory controls using barcoding technology
- Expert with SAP (implementation, change control, variance resolution)