The Director of Marketing at UIS provides leadership and direction for university marketing efforts to support and advance the strategic priorities of the university, including but not limited to brand management, recruitment and enrollment, reputation and visibility, and program/campus growth. Responsibilities include strategic marketing planning, advertising (print and digital), market research, environmental marketing, conceptualization and writing/editing for publications and web content, marketing consultation with administrators and campus units, development and execution of an annual university marketing plan, and other duties related to the promotion of the university. Position works closely in coordination with campus Public Relations, Web Services and Creative Services units and oversees the university’s photography operation and two assistant marketing directors.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the Primary guardian of the University brand message and provide colleagues at the administrative, departmental, and unit levels with the tools and ideas necessary to strengthen and support the brand.
- Oversee efforts to protect brand strength and quality in coordination with assistant directors of marketing and members of the Public Relations, Web Services and Creative Services units, among others.
- Continually test brand strength, measure effectiveness and keep abreast of competitor efforts and industry trends through research in order to meet challenges, adjust university messaging and recruitment communications, as necessary.
- Direct, develop and produce, or oversee the direction, developmnent and production of, advertising, web content, publications content, and other services and products to meet marketing needs related to student recruitment and general image-buidling for the university.
- Develop and revise annually an integrated university marketing plan including goals, objectives, priorities, evaluation tools, and timelines related to overall image-building and support of strategic marketing priorities for the university.
- Coordinate with UIS Public Relations, Web Services and Campus Services peers to ensure effective integration of marketing efforts and ideas across all platforms and channels to reach identified audience groups.
- Oversee coordination efforts with the Office of Enrollment Management so that institutional-level marketing (Marketing) and direct marketing (Enrollment Management/ Admissions) achieve a synergy that raises awareness and support of the university and achieves recruitment goals.
- Work with other campus offices and academic colleges and departments to provide coordination of efforts and support for unit-level direct marketing efforts.
- Work effectively with off-campus service providers, vendors and consultants as appropriate to meet marketing goals.
- Develop the marketing unit's annual budget and monitor the expenditure of funds.
- Prepare special and periodic reports as required, and to present those reports to groups as needed.
- Direct the university's photo-taking operation through supervision of the Senior Photographer.
- Directly supervise any and all marketing unit staff and interns, with responsibility for filling vacancies in positions, making workload assignments and developing and evaluating unit staff.
- Guide dept. staff's efforts to ensure priorities and goals align with the university's mission, vision and values.
- Represent the campus, as appropriate, with various internal and external audiences.
- Engage in routine professional development through conference attendance, webinars and online networks and listserves to keep abreast of trends, change, competition, etc., that impact the marketing of the university.
Environmental demands: Office work, including computer work.
Required minimum Qualifications, education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field required.
- Minimum five years of experience performing strategic-level marketing and brand-management responsibilitiesrequired, preferably in higher education.
- At least three years supervisory and budgeting experiencerequired.
- Strong writing and editingexperiencerequired, with working knowledge of Associated Press (AP) Style preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in developing integrated marketing plans that incorporate digital (social media, websites) and traditional public relations strategies.
- Experience working with marketing and advertising vendors and/or consultants.
- Experience with developing and executing environmental marketing strategies.
- Excellent oral, written, technology, budgeting and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, set priorities and meet deadlines and goals; assumes personal responsibility for completion of his/her work.
- Excellent judgment.
- Master's degree in marketing, communications or related field.
- General knowledge of higher education organization and campus operations preferred.