Director of Market Development
Are you looking for a company with a remarkable track record of innovation?
(Since 1933 OMRON has been changing the world through its technological innovations in Medical Device and Industrial Automation. Adding to that legacy - OMRON Microscan invented Laser Diode Barcode Scanning, the 2D Data Matrix, and has a proven history of leading the industry in new technologies - for example the MICROHAWK!)
Are you looking to make a substantial impact in a growing, global business?
(As the Subject Matter Expert for driving business development in Automotive - you will actively participate with and provide strategic vision to our leadership team for driving our growth in that important sector.)
Are you looking for alternatives to employers like Microsoft, Amazon or Boeing?
(Our culture is a place where you have the empowerment to drive results.)
Would you like to help us produce more than the next great cat video?
(We make complex electronics (i.e., real products) that are sold to manufacturers across the globe.)
If so - Please Apply!
As the Director of Market Development, you are responsible for developing OMRON Microscan's (OCR) global strategy for the selected vertical industry. This goal includes market research and sizing, adjacent product and solution identification as well as direction, establishment of market development requirements, key performance product promotion, G10 and G100 customer selection, business partnering, and major global project and customer coordination. In all cases you will work with others including OCR product management, engineering, and operations, as well as the OMRON regional organizations (OEXs) to develop the global industry strategy and execute on the above deliverables.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build organizational understanding of vertical markets by identifying existing and potential new products and technologies, best practices, competitors and partners, and strategic customers' needs and pain points.
- Identify and assess industry/application opportunities and prioritize based on OCR ability and readiness to execute as well as market attractiveness in the target vertical market.
- Ensure that OCR's products maintain market-leading capabilities, while identifying new and emerging needs in the target vertical market.
- Develop strategic business partnerships which augment OCR capabilities to deliver a packaged solution with the targeted vertical market.
- Lead organization-wide projects to improve delivery, reliability and agility of OCR within targeted vertical market while effectively collaborating with other departments to support internal business team goals.
- Maintain detailed understanding of competitive products and offerings within the targeted vertical market including pricing and market share both nationally and globally.
- Work with OEXs to establish G10/G100/G10000 list which captures customers/accounts that have significant potential for OCR products and solutions within the target vertical market.
- Complete detailed analyses, as assigned, to assess product and category sales and profitability performance within the targeted vertical market.
- Gather appropriate market, field sales, and customer research to demonstrate customer use trends, or changes in the offerings of competitors within the targeted vertical market.
- Craft product positioning and value propositions to aid the selling process within targeted vertical market.
- Work with OEXs on major global projects in targeted vertical market where OCR products are significant in volume and/or key to overall customer decision making process; including developing sales strategy, customer value propositions, scope of supply, channel to market, etc.
- Develop "Partnership Proposals" which articulate customer value propositions and present these directly to customers that have major global projects in the targeted vertical market where OCR products and solutions are significant in volume and/or key to overall customer decision making process.
- Coordinate the development of global marketing content for targeted vertical markets with Product Management to be used by the OEXs to develop campaigns (e.g., global project reference lists, case studies, and proposals).
- Take OCR-centric solutions developed in one OEX and work with Product Management to productize the solution and promote to other OEXs as packaged solution.
- Work with the OEXs to create specific sales campaigns and initiatives around key performance products in the targeted vertical market including campaign collateral, tools, and marketing content. Replicate successful campaigns in one OEX to others, if applicable.
New Product Development
- Collaborate with Product Management and Engineering on technology, product, feature, and functionality requirements within targeted vertical market and help to develop product development roadmap which articulates how and when these needs will be delivered.
- Collaborate with Product Managers to execute the launch of and generate market demand for new products targeted at the vertical market. Help product management ensure products meet functional and marketing requirements through external customer validation activities, working with the OEXs.
- Determine, with the assistance of Product Management and Engineering, if product or technology should be developed or acquired.
- Gain external and internal support to launch, within the targeted vertical market, new alliances, product or service licensing deals through detailed assessment of benefits and risks.
- On a day-to-day basis provide direction and define the critical priorities and strategic initiatives related to the targeted vertical market to the cross-functional team (i.e., Marketing, Engineering, Finance, etc.)
- Create models which document Omron market share in the targeted vertical market by key performance product by leveraging both external and internal data sources.
- Establish key performance metrics, including market share, and reports for business objectives; provide regular updates to executive stakeholders on market activities and performance against key metrics.
- Conduct industry, market, and competitive analysis and report findings such that Microscan's strategic position in front of the competition is maintained and grown.
- Perform financial analyses of OCR's position within the targeted vertical market and support other analysis and business planning as necessary.
- Drive the development of business cases for concepts that warrant investment related to OCR products, solutions, or services or the transformation of existing products and services.
Other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Marketing, with an MBA preferred.
- Ten years of experience in sales or marketing of industrial automation products to targeted vertical market.
- Demonstrated expertise in corporate strategy, intellectual property licensing, strategic alliance building and management, business development or equivalent background preferred.
- Ten years of experience managing complex multi-disciplinary projects.
- A proven track record driving deals to closure in a matrix environment with distributed leadership, demonstrating quantifiable results.
- Excellent communication -- in person and written -- as documented by staff engagement, leadership awareness and customer satisfaction.
- Demonstrated strong executive presence and leadership skills.
- Documented highly strategic and proven self-starter with a deep passion and motivation to evaluate market spaces strategically and identify growth opportunities.
- Proven ability to influence individuals from multiple disciplines which are not under direct control.
- Documented experience and ability to improve time-to-market without sacrificing quality or innovation.
- Proven and strong customer focus as demonstrated by a consistent ability to develop highly profitable and differentiated new products.
- Project Management training/certification.
- Demonstrated attention to detail while skillfully managing programs and projects.
- Documented ability to perform deep data analysis and scenario evaluation.
- Six Sigma / Lean Manufacturing training or experience with a Black Belt preferred.
- Proven experience managing or crafting external technology partnerships working on end-to-end activities including partner selection, contracting and execution.