We are currently seeking a Director of Marine Investigations! The Director of Marine Investigations serves as Director for Carnival Cruise Line's Marine Department incident investigations; investigates severity level 3, 4 and 5 incidents; partners with compliance team to ensure the investigation process is followed within both corporate and external authority guidelines; ensures quality control of assigned CCL-internal investigations; tracks and reports on progress and status of assigned investigations to ensure timely completion of the investigations; serves as designated liaison with corporate and external authorities for investigative matters; trains and mentors subject matter experts assigned to lead investigations in investigation process.
- When assigned, leads incident investigations including event recognition and classification, data collection, data analysis, recommendation development and disposition, report composition and presentation; collaborates with subject matter experts as required; performs root cause analysis.
- When not assigned as lead investigator, trains and mentors subject matter experts assigned to lead investigations in investigation process.
- Communicates investigation results internally to employees and management including, but not limited to, reports, summary documents, presentations and resources.
- Tracks and reports on progress and status of assigned investigations, ensures timely completion of the investigations; ensures documentation content meets standards and is complete, accurate and timely.
- Analyzes incident statistics and trends, proactively identifies patterns and improvement opportunities; compiles and publishes routine investigation performance metrics consistent with established process requirements.
- Uses knowledge of cruise ship operations/departments/equipment and knowledge of critical work processes such as, but not limited to, PMS, risk assessments, process hazard analysis, etc. to identify recurring causes of incidents and repeat incidents.
- Serves as representative to the NTSB, USCG, Flag State and other pertinent outside authorities in public/non-public accident investigations or other marine accident investigations of interest to those organizations; serves as designated representative in international investigations conducted under IMO rules.
- Serves as CCL lead representative to ABG RAAS Investigations team for liaison on all marine incident-related investigations.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nautical Academy, Marine Engineering preferred; Master's license or equivalent experience preferred
- Formal preparation/certifications/coursework in marine accident investigations and investigative process.
- 10 years leadership experience in ship operations, preferably as a senior officer. Service as a ship's deck or engine officer, preferably of significant vessels in the U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, the cruise industry, the tanker/offshore industry, or other shipping sectors. Alternative is equivalent time spent as a dedicated marine accident investigator.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; ability to lead ad hoc groups at all different levels; must demonstrate seasoned judgment and analytic assessment abilities; experience working with a safety management system program and providing feedback or developing new procedures for continuous improvement of that system; participating in shipboard emergency drills and/or actual emergency situations at sea in a leadership role is a plus; strong analytical and problem solving skills; high degree of self-motivation, tenacity, and drive; independent tracking of status of investigation reports and action plans using office tools and HESSMS platform. Fluent in written English.
- Experience with MS Office (Excel, Word, & PowerPoint) required.
Benefits as a member of Carnival's Team:
- A comprehensive healthcare program, dental coverage and flexible spending accounts.
- Company-paid term life insurance and long term disability coverage, employee-paid optional life insurance and other voluntary insurance programs.
- A 401(k) plan that includes up to a 3% company match after one year of service and a discretionary-profit sharing contribution in your second year of eligible employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement that provides up to 75% reimbursement for company related professional career development.
- Employee Stock Purchase plan that provides up to a 15% discount off the Fair Market Value of Carnival Corporation Common Stock.
- Paid vacation and sick time.
- Two complimentary "Fun Ship" cruises a year (based on available space and seniority) as well as discounted rates to friends and family in addition to other discounts to local and neighborhood vendors.
- An on-site fully accredited preschool educational program that provides developmentally appropriate educational programming for families of children ages 6 weeks through 5 years of age and up to 12 years of age during school holidays and summer vacation in addition to drop-in care for those unexpected childcare conflicts.
- An on-site Health and Wellness Center that provides a full range of activities including weight training machines, free weights, cardiovascular equipment, an aerobic center, massage therapy, certified personal trainers and a wide variety of other programs.