At National Vision, we believe that everyone deserves to see their best to live their best. We make that possible by offering quality eye care and eye wear more affordable and accessible.
National Vision, Inc. (NVI) is one of the largest optical retailers in the United States, operating over 980 retail locations in 44 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico as well as an optical lab network consisting of three domestic locations and two international locations. NVI offers an innovative culture where training is a priority, hard work is praised, and career growth is a reality.
Director of Lens/Contact Lens Merchandising is responsible for the management, merchandising, and promotion of all lenses, contact lenses, wearables, and accessories.
What would you do? – The Specifics
- Develops targets; determine costs and develop strategies to hit margin and sales related goals and objectives.
- Manages vendor relationships by providing feedback on current performance, sharing insights into product categories through the use of data and analysis, outlining NVI’s strategic and tactical goals and translating these into deliverable for vendors.
- Attends Trade Shows to represent NVI and investigate new products, services and upcoming market trends.
- Manages Vendor Cooperative Advertising and growth incentives to ensure that the marketing contributions from vendors are maximized to offset costs. Looks for new ways to meet or exceed previous year’s Co-op dollars.
- Ensures the most beneficial price and supply terms for NVI by creating accurate forecasts, negotiating contracts with vendors, and finding preferred suppliers that will continue to maximize Co-op contributions.
- Reviews and recommends sign off on all supplier contracts’ commercial terms to ensure they are in line with negotiated agreement. Partners with NVI legal to ensure spirit of the contract remains legal after review.
- Determines all retail pricing of each product by entity and ensures the margin targets are met or exceeded and creates a pricing matrix that has logic for the stores.
- Executes and/or delegates research integral to the concept and buying process (current trends, current customer base, market research, competitive analysis, current offerings and economic information and projections). Reacts accordingly to ensure market leadership.
- Selects and evaluates products to determine if suitable for NVI’s portfolio by working with the labs to ensure that performance is in line with vendor claims, and conducting clinical/wearer studies.
- Analyses customer and product trends by using internal sales data and market trends within the industry. Leverages these insights to ensure Vendors understand the nature of NVI’s business model and utilizes the data to influence Senior Management of each entity to understand the changes in products selected.
- Leads, develops, evaluates, and mentors direct reports and creates an environment for development for all staff.
- Develops price reductions and exit recommendations for products.
Are you the right fit? – The Suitable Talent
- Bachelor's Degree in Business related field or Optics.
- 10 or more years in merchandise planning and inventory management, 3+ years in management role.
- 5 or more years of experience in the optical industry.
- Opticians License preferred.
- Knowledge of Supply Chain and Merchandising systems (JDA preferred) and Report Writing Software (Business Objects preferred).
- Microsoft Office Skills: Word, Advanced Excel, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated talent for using analytics and fact based decision making in daily work.
- Strong reputation for objectivity and seasoned retail business judgment.
- Able to deliver convincing presentations, clearly identifying business issues and decisions to all levels of management.
- Uses creativity, past experience, and logic to see a project from concept to final implementation.
- Excellent organization, planning, judgment, and time management skills.
- Keeps abreast of business, industry and market information that may reveal business opportunities.
- Manages multiple assignments, sets priorities, and adapts to changing conditions and work assignments.
- Strong leader with the ability to interact with and influence others effectively.
- Up to 25 % travel, including international travel.
What are the benefits?
National Vision offers a competitive benefits package including Health and Dental Insurance, 401k with company match, Flex Spending Account, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Life Insurance, Paid Personal Time Off, and much more.
NVI is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer