About the Role
Lob is building a suite of APIs to simplify and automate enterprise workflows that connect the online and offline worlds. Our most popular product is our Print & Mail API that enables companies to send physical mail as effortlessly as sending emails. With a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings, Lob is looking for talented individuals to join our team and shape the future of our company.
We’re seeking to bring on our first in-house counsel to come in at the ground-level of a fast-moving, enterprise SaaS company in San Francisco. Reporting to the VP of Finance, you will take ownership over all aspects of Lob’s legal operations. Your responsibilities will include negotiations with customers and vendors, building out legal processes and procedures, instituting compliance policies while maintaining the entrepreneurial culture of the company, managing outside counsel as needed, and working on all aspects of intellectual property, privacy, employment, and corporate issues. You will be partnering with leaders across the company in Sales, People, Product & Engineering, and Finance to provide counsel in evaluating risks and requirements in service of achieving Lob’s business goals.
We are looking for a practical attorney who is interested in learning about our technology, can enable our go-to-market strategy, and will establish her or himself as a trusted business partner to every executive as well as a company-wide thought leader.
As the Director of Legal, you’ll...
- Build out our core legal processes; oversee the building of legal operations to effectively serve contract needs, prioritize tasks, and integrate with other company-wide systems
- Define Lob’s legal strategy; oversee all legal matters and advise the leadership team and Lob employees at all levels of the organization
- Work with Lob’s Sales team to negotiate strategic customer contracts, close deals in the most efficient manner, and educate sales representatives to effectively sell Lob’s legal terms
- Provide counsel and advise the leadership team on legal liabilities across the business on areas including: HR issues & employment law, commissions agreements, real estate leases, international expansion, company policies, corporate finance, partnerships, etc.
- Partner with Lob’s Head of Security & Compliance to develop compliance strategies for applicable laws and regulations, especially relating to cybersecurity, privacy and corporate governance
- Anticipate and identify legal risks, stay abreast of applicable regulatory developments, and use critical thinking to provide proactive and strategic solutions to eliminate or mitigate those risks
- Partner with the VP Finance and outside counsel to maintain company capitalization table
- Partner with our Product & Engineering teams and outside counsel to establish and maintain Lob’s patent portfolio
- Manage relationships with our existing external counsel on corporate finance, capital markets matters, employment, etc. as needed
- Address other ad-hoc or specialized legal issues
For this role, we're looking for...
- Practicing attorney with 7-12 years of experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department. In-house counsel experience preferred, especially in tech.
- Broad direct experience with a variety of legal matters, including commercial contract negotiation, information security and compliance, strategic business agreements, privacy, corporate governance, intellectual property rights, international expansion
- Ability to listen and work in concert with counterparties to find mutually agreeable solutions in negotiations
- Deep understanding of “market” commercial terms for the SaaS industry
- Comfort with business metrics and ability to break down complex legal problems into business and legal risks; ability to explain legal issues to business and technology focused partners
- Willingness to roll up his/her sleeves and take on tasks both big and small.
- Collaborative and solutions-oriented approach with low ego in a fast-paced, team-centric environment
- Strong sense of ownership, desire to make a cross-functional impact, eagerness to learn, customer orientation
- A JD from a top accredited law school, and a membership in good standing with the California Bar
Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification) that enable companies to send postal mail as effortlessly as sending emails. Lob is venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, and we are rapidly growing our team to shape the future of our company and meet the demands of a quickly growing customer base and dynamic product offerings.
We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.