The information between the asterisks contains specific information about this position while the information after the asterisks contains general information about jobs in this job family at Nationwide.
Top level contributor responsible for maturing and deploying Lean practices across the Pet business. Contributes to the Pet business strategy and execution of Pet operating model. Manages the performance and development of Lean Maturity Agent(s). Mentors and educates associates at all levels of the organization to influence cultural transformation regarding Lean. Primary responsibility is to design and execute enterprise systems to support Lean deployment and/or maturity. This will include direct leadership and business case management for given Lean initiatives or assessments, and execution of maturity systems including training, assessment, performance management, and other techniques. Requires highest level understanding of Lean.
Licensing/Certification: Master Black Belt/Lean Sensei strongly preferred. Product-related technical insurance course work (CPCU, CPU, LOMA) preferred.
Current Experience: Ten or more years' relevant experience in Lean and/or continuous improvement leadership. Ability to demonstrate significant experience leading multiple cross-functional scope projects to successful completion
Knowledge: Maintains and comprehends business/systems process operations or redesign techniques, methods and tools. Maintains current understanding of technological, societal and environmental trends to support process design and operations to improve performance. Maintains current understanding of insurance and financial services industry, focusing on the Nationwide Pet and its key competitors.
Measurable results - ability to understand the business' needs and meet them there to deliver results
Innovation - ability to synthesize trends and opportunities across Nationwide and propose innovative ways for Pet to serve its Members
Sponsor/partner management - independently addresses challenges while strengthening the working relationship. Viewed by executive leaders as a trusted thought leader. Challenges their thinking and moves them to try new approaches and/or change behavior
People leadership (direct or dotted line) - independently addresses challenges while strengthening the working relationship. Proactively coaches for development and identifies potential talent
Executive presence - projects competence and confidence at all levels of the organization, in meetings, presentations or conversations, even when confronted with unplanned challenges, questions or opportunities
JOB SUMMARY: Directs the strategic alignment and success of major corporate programs and initiatives for assigned business units. Prioritizes, approves and ensures the completion of new product development, design of new processes, adoption of new strategies and/or programs within time, budget, and specification constraints. Provides a single point of contact integration for individual projects into larger program management on a corporate-wide basis.Job Description
Reports to: Officer / VP. May manage project managers through direct of indirect reporting relationship.
1. Directs the evaluation of proposed business development efforts including the coordination of initial program/project proposals (i.e., high level scope, deliverables, cost estimates and return on investment analysis) and charters. Determines and recommends to senior management if program/project strategically aligns with the organization?s strategy and objectives.
2. Consults with senior leadership and assigned project teams to identify scope/specifications and business needs, writes proposals, prepares risk assessments and establishes budgets and timeframes for major programs and team based activities, with the goal of ensuring alignment with corporate strategy and objectives.
3. Directs the allocation and funding for programs/projects and their initiatives.
4. Directs the development of business perspective work plans to determine needed resources (process, functional, product and distribution channels) to deliver program/project charters, requirements, user acceptance testing strategies, training, and system implementation.
5. Monitors and assesses all projects and strategic initiatives and communicates status to senior leadership. Ensures and manages the communication to and incorporation of feedback from customers on proposed, developing and completed projects and strategic initiatives. Evaluates all related vendor deliverables.
6. Manages the interfaces between projects, acting as a liaison between project managers and directors, to ensure collaboration and coordination between business unit leadership, program/project development staff, senior management, Technology Services, customers, and if necessary, vendors and outside consultants.
7. Identifies technology and human resource commitments across the organization. Provides feedback and makes recommendations to senior management to assist in prioritization, formation of cross-functional and/or customer integrated teams and the reallocation of resources when necessary.
8. Identifies gaps, overlaps, conflicts, and time as well as budgetary and resource barriers, which effect programs and projects individually and as a whole. Facilitates resolution, mitigation, and appropriate elevation. Maintains a log of common issues, risks, and changes to promote organizational learning and proactive response.
9. Identifies endangered and misaligned programs, projects, and initiatives, and represents senior management in leading resulting recovery, revision, or shutdown efforts that may be required.
10. Develops, implements, and maintains a consistent program/project management framework such as methodologies and standards for use in the assigned business unit leadership and associated business units.
11. Consults and coaches leadership and team members throughout business units on new project/program management trends, practices and procedures, and tools.
12. Acts as a liaison to program management staff in other areas of Nationwide and integrates the workflow in these areas in support of company and business unit strategy.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate degree in business, insurance or related field. MBA or equivalent desired. Project Management Certification strongly preferred.
Experience: Ten years of general management experience including insurance operations, program/project leadership, and involvement/interaction with multiple functional areas such as HR, finance/accounting, systems, legal, and communications.56767