The Director of Land Development will provide vision, leadership and management to the land development operations for the Division. The Director will work in collaboration with the Division President and functional leaders to ensure business plan metrics are met with regard to sales, starts and closings. The Director will provide oversight and establish metrics to measure team performance related to schedules, budgets, land plan design, and land development construction. The Director of Land Development will manage project tasks from preliminary plat to final recorded plat, HOA turnovers, and Agency bond exonerations. In addition, the Director is expected to coordinate the lowering of site cost budgets with Director/VP Construction and Purchasing. Finally, the Director is responsible for the hiring, management, and motivation of all Land Development personnel.
FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Schedules - Ensure all communities open per land committee approved dates. Schedules will be maintained by verifying quality of work, contractor progress, and engineered plans are correctly followed. In addition, resolving entitlement problems and conditions prior to and during development is critical.
- Land Committee Approved Budgets - Oversee both the preliminary feasibility budget process and then establish and maintain final budgets based on city approved civil plans and take-offs. It is also important to identify risks and minimize interest expense by proper scheduling of land development allocation assets.
- Value Engineering - Minimize cost by utilizing all value engineering methods in civil design, lot layout, and utility company designs. Review and approve all contractor bids, review survey/title issues and other reports to determine liabilities of potential acquisitions.
- Managing Personnel - Hire, train, and oversee Land Development Managers, Land Construction Managers, and Land Development Coordinators. Director will also ensure Meritage Policies and Procedures are followed per audit standards as well as monitor compliance with established safety procedures, quality standards, and work schedules through regular site inspections, determine reasons for any deviation, and develop and oversee plans for corrective action.
- Communication - Facilitate communication with (internal) land acquisition, land committee, sales, construction, purchasing, starts, and accounting as well as communication with (external) municipalities, utility purveyors, land sellers, engineers contractors, homeowners, and HOA's. Finally, maintaining relationships with field personnel, engineers, subcontractors, inspectors, utility companies, government agencies/officials, and all levels of employees in multiple departments.
- Business Plan - Director of Land Development will coordinate with all disciplines to ensure we meet all sales, starts, and closings per business plan. Land department ensures all homeowner issues are resolved expediently. Land Development department supports all disciplines to resolve any issue during production.
- Site construction and budget - Assist in plot plan review on "Special Lot Conditions". Coordinate house plotting for lot fit and utility locations. Assist with the phasing to determine model location and production starts. Coordinates with VP/Director of Construction on maintaining site condition budgets. Coordinates on the scheduling of site condition construction.
- Bachelor's degree required. Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture and/or Construction Management strongly preferred.
- Ten (10) years experience in homebuilding and land development. A portion of this experience can be accumulated as a subcontractor but must have strong supervisory experience in that trade.
- Five (5) years of management/supervisory experience in land development, in the homebuilding industry
- Strong Computer skills; proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
- Knowledge of Project Management/Scheduling software, preferred
- Ability to read and interpret civil engineering plans, lot grading plans, plats, and plot plans
- Ability to create/implement work plans, prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans
- Knowledge of foundation home design, lot grading, and construction
- Knowledge of site work construction including dirt work/grading, street construction, sanitary sewer, water, clearing, and retaining walls.