Compass Group, the world’s leading contract foodservice company, has a Great Opportunity for career development and growth as a Director, Labor Relations. This is a remote/home-based position located in the Northern California/Pacific Northwest areas.
Reporting to the SVP & Chief Labor Counsel of Labor Relations, the Director of Labor Relations is accountable for assisting operating management in achieving labor relations environments which are cost-effective, cost competitive, consistent with Company policies, procedures and work rules, and free of unnecessary litigation. This position is also accountable for assisting Human Resources in achieving employee relations environments which foster union-free operations. The Director negotiates and administers collective bargaining agreements and provides internal consultation, supervision, work direction and training to Regional Labor Relations Managers, Labor Relations Managers and Labor Relations Supervisors.
- Assist the SVP & Chief Labor Counsel, Labor Relations in budget preparation and monthly monitoring of the same; identify strategic labor objectives and communicates those to subordinates
- Partner with HR and Operations in educating employees on all organized labor issues; review, interpret and make recommendations on company policies & procedures with respect to labor issues; serve as an organizational resource in raising issues that may result in a gap between stated organizational goals and actual practice
- Keep information confidential; use good judgment about when and how any information can be shared while being mindful of maintaining professional standards
- Assist with the restructuring of Department as necessary
- Aide in the adherence of Labor Relations Policy
- Analyze Nationwide bid opportunities and attend proposal meetings with potential clients
- Work closely with the Director of Labor Relations – Support Services and provide advice & counsel as necessary.
- Fills in for and assumes responsibilities of the SVP & Chief Labor Counsel, Labor Relations in his/her absence.
- Supervises, directs and reviews all subordinate staff
- Acts as chief spokesperson for multiple labor agreements.
- Plans, sets objectives and develops appropriate strategies and tactics.
- To achieve cost-effective, cost competitive labor agreements; ensures consistent use of Labor Costing tool for all CBAs across all sectors
Labor Agreement Administration
- Administers multiple labor agreements.
- Advises operating management on disciplinary and contract interpretation issues.
- To comply with labor agreements and company rules; to avoid unnecessary litigation.
- Promotes/champions union free environments.
- Provides employee relations training for supervision/management; provides employee and supervisor counseling.
- To maintain operating flexibility and control costs.
- Acts as company advocate in arbitration proceedings.
- Prepares and presents Company’s position; prepares briefs and other documents for proceedings.
- To uphold the integrity of the Company’s labor agreements and management actions.
- Coordinates with and follows the direction of Senior Labor Counsel relative to all arbitration cases and settlements
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; focus preferred; advanced degree (i.e. J.D.) is preferred
- 15+ years Labor Relations experience as Chief Spokesperson in a multi-location environment where at least 25% of the locations are unionized
- Extensive experience in negotiations with excellent communications skills
- Proven ability to manage grievances to arbitration step
- Proven ability to work persuasively across all sectors and levels of management to ensure Corporate labor relations objectives are met
- Experienced with Union organizing campaigns and awareness training with operators
- Willing and able to travel regionally 60%+
- Experience can be either from a management or labor perspective.
- Motivated with strong interpersonal & communication skills with the ability to present effective oral and written presentations
- Knowledge of and ability to keep abreast of all applicable laws and regulations affecting labor as well as leading industry practices and trends
- Experience in hospitality, healthcare, food & vending services and/or support services required.
- Bilingual capability preferred
- Proven ability to effectively supervise a professional staff of subordinates.