- Develop and communicate a clear vision, strategy and model for the internal audit function.
- Direct and participate in the internal audit function including developing and recommending internal audit policies.
- Develop and execute an annual Audit Plan and submit it to the Internal Audit Review Committee and President for their review and approval. The Audit Plan should be designed to assist with the University's strategic objectives, using a risk basedmethodology that also incorporates findings from the University's Risk Management and Administrative Compliance Department process.
- Annually, submit to the President and the Internal Audit Review Committee a written report detailing how the Audit Plan for the prior fiscal year was carried out, the significant findings, and the extent to which audit recommendation changes were implemented.
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of management's processes for riskmanagement, internal control, and governance to ensure controls efficiently protect the University's assets, and recommend improvements when appropriate.
- Review financial records, other systems, activities, and policies and procedures toascertain financial status, accuracy of data, effectiveness of internal controls and toprovide reasonable assurance that the University is in compliance with campus, SUNY, State, and Federal laws and regulations.
- Provide advisory or consultation services upon request by the University President and/or campus community regarding modification of practices, policies, or procedures.
- Investigate allegations of fraud, waste, and abuse in line with other institution departments as required.
- Prepare and issue a written Audit/Agreed-Upon Procedure Report following the conclusion of each audit/review that will be distributed to appropriate university management.
- Coordinate with the University's external auditors, including SUNY, Research Foundation for SUNY, and NYS, regarding financial, operational, compliance, special investigative audits and/or inquiries, as applicable.
- Work collaboratively across the University on opportunities for improvement and collaborate with the Risk Management and Administrative Compliance Department on the identification of gaps in compliance controls and validate the effectiveness of management compliance systems.
- Participate in various committees, task forces, and project teams to promote awareness of internal controls, operational effectiveness, and appropriate policy and procedure development.
- Supervise staff and maintain the proficiency of department personnel including Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Licensure through Continuing Professional Education (CPE Credits) and training. Retain active memberships in the Association of College and University Auditors (ACUA) and the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA).
- Ensure the work of the Internal Audit Department is consistent with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors' (IIA) "Code of Ethics."
- Participate in various committees, task forces, and project teams to promote awareness of internal controls, operational effectiveness, participate in appropriate university policy formulation and procedure development.
- Perform other functions as assigned by the President or the Internal Audit Review Committee, including reviews of campus-affiliated organizations.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting (or related business/finance program)
- An active Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor certification.
- Eight years of related experience in public accounting or internal audit reviewing and evaluating internal controls and conducting financial, compliance, information technology, and/or performance audits and preparing related reports.
- Experience initiating, conducting, supervising, and coordinating audits designed todetect, prevent, and eradicate weaknesses, errors and irregularities.
- Demonstrated leadership/supervisory experience.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills with a highly collaborative personal style and the ability to deliver sensitive information tactfully and professionally.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Master's degree in accounting, business administration, or related field.
- Audit experience in a higher education environment.
- An understanding of information technology risks and experience with information technology audits.