Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV brands and pay TV operators.
The Role and Responsibilities
Roku, Inc. is seeking an experienced and self-motivated patent attorney to join its legal team. You will provide legal guidance on a wide range of IP issues related to the TV streaming industry. In this role, you will:
- Interact with the business and technology teams to launch and protect new products and services.
- Engage with product managers, developers and engineers to identify protectable aspects of their innovations.
- Work with outside counsel on the preparation, filing, and prosecution of our growing US and foreign patent portfolio.
- Take a leading role in shaping Roku’s intellectual property portfolio development strategy.
- Support litigation activities relating to intellectual property.
- Provide IP support on other legal matters (e.g., licensing discussions, mergers and acquisitions, financings, etc.).
- Advise management on intellectual property issues.
- This person will be required to interface closely with the company’s engineering team and will need to quickly grasp complex technical data pertaining to intellectual property.
- In addition, this person will need to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi‐dimensional projects in a fast‐paced environment.
The company is looking for someone who has:
- Graduated from an ABA accredited law school
- Admitted to practice in at least one State in the US, and is admitted to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- 7+ years of current experience drafting, filing and prosecuting patents, and be able to provide patent counseling, handle patent related transactions and patent licensing..
- A technical background in computer science is preferred, although a degree in a related field would also be acceptable.
- The successful candidate will have strong communications skills and a collaborative, team-oriented approach to work.
Specific background should include:
- Technical background preferred in computer science or related technology.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- At least 4+ years of experience in patent prosecution with prior in-house experience preferred.
- Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, post-grant proceedings, and European opposition proceedings a plus.
Characteristics of success at Roku
- Self-motivated individual who takes ownership
- Positive attitude
- Non political
- Results oriented
- Hands on and team oriented
- Desire to win in a highly competitive environment
Ability to adjust plan and react as needed