As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will help shape intellectual property strategies for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the development of new technologies and operation of systems to enable satellite and robotic launches as well as human space flight. You will advise senior management on intellectual property (IP) appropriate strategies, have oversight of our patent, trade secret, trademark and copyright portfolios and will advise employees on the legal aspects of intellectual property protection. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Develop and implement a strategic approach to the creation and management of intellectual property within the company.
- Advise and counsel employees at all levels on various intellectual property matters involving copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets.
- Draft, negotiate, interpret and advise clients on intellectual property-related agreements as well as intellectual property provisions in various commercial agreements.
- Perform freedom-to-operate and invalidity analyses and draft opinions to present to senior management.
- Evaluate internally submitted invention disclosures to determine patentability.
- Draft United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and/or Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) patent applications, either directly or through outside counsel.
- Draft and file, either directly or through outside counsel, trademark applications.
- Develop and advise business on carrying out strategy for use of trademarks in commerce.
- Manage outside counsel to file and prosecute patent applications and register company’s trademarks and copyrights.
- Manage company’s patent, trademark and copyright portfolios through timely submission of all registrations and payment of fees.
- Advise business in response to licensing opportunities and assertion claims related to copyright, trademark, and patent portfolios.
- Provide counsel on FAR/DFAR regulations as pertains to Intellectual Property in government contracts.
- Assist in the management of company’s confidentiality and information/data protection, security, and privacy practices.
- The candidate should be licensed to practice before a State Bar and also before the USPTO.
- Must have 10+ years of experience as an intellectual property attorney within a corporate legal department or a law firm, including experience with counseling diverse clients on business aspects of intellectual property matters.
- Direct experience in the preparation and prosecution of patent applications.
- Experience with Inter Partes Reviews, Post-Grant Patent Reviews, and/or other contested proceedings before the USPTO.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment and closely with employees at all levels.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Intellectual property litigation experience.
- Knowledge of regulations governing data security and related policies and personally identifiable information and privacy policies.
- Aerospace, mechanical, electrical or other pertinent engineering background.
- Prior experiencesupporting the aerospace sector
- FAR/DFAR experience.
- Prior experiencing working in a corporate legal department of an engineering or a research and development organization.
Job ID 3128