The Director, Institutional Giving, External Engagement is responsible for supporting Educational Alliance's annual fundraising goals by maintaining and growing a portfolio of approximately 30 grants from foundations, corporations, government and UJA-Federation of New York. This person is also responsible for supervising a Senior Grant Writer and Institutional Giving Associate.
SCOPE OF INFLUENCE
· Inside the agency this individual will be expected to collaborate with Program Staff, Development and Communications Staff, Senior Executive Team members, and Finance Staff.
· Outside the agency this individual will be expected to collaborate with Foundation, Corporate, and Government Officers; UJA-Federation Professional Staff.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
· Identify new prospective institutional donors and develop strategies to approach those donors, in coordination with the External Engagement team and other Educational Alliance staff members.
· Cultivate relationships with new and lapsed donors, including email and telephone communication, when focus areas align with agency mission and values.
· Develop letters of inquiry, proposals, reports, contract materials, and other written communications to donors at all stages of the cultivation process, tailoring these materials to the interests and requirements of the individual or institutional donor.
· Position Executive Team and Program Staff for success representing Educational Alliance's work to donors, providing talking points, coaching, and other preparation as appropriate.
· Help plan and take the lead in coordinating site visits.
· Lead Site Visits with prospective and current funders, including preparing program staff and Executive Team members
· Ensure the correct completion and timely submission of all application or contract materials.
· Develop and implement strategies for stewarding existing funders.
· Develop budgets in partnership with Finance staff tailored to the requirements of funders, while also in alignment with agency goals.
· Act as a thought partner on large grant applications – assisting with program development, as necessary, and providing advice and feedback, when appropriate.
Project Management (15%)
· Provide project management, ensuring that project stakeholders have reviewed and provided feedback on proposals in a timely manner, and obtaining final approval.
· Lead in developing a strong case for support for Educational Alliance programs, in collaboration with program and finance staff.
· Collaborate with finance staff to project likely revenue from all donors in portfolio.
· Document all solicitations and gifts using appropriate department procedures.
· Support Executive Leadership in developing relationships to support agency Development goals and objectives.
· Participate in staff meetings and trainings as required.
· Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
· Train and supervise grant writing staff on agency procedures and protocols.
· Proofread proposals, reports, and other materials from grant writing staff.
· Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience with the "full-cycle" grantee process.
· Proven success in securing foundation, government and corporate funding.
· Outstanding written and oral communications skills.
· Experience collaborating with finance and program teams to prepare program budgets, budget modifications and financial reports.
· Team player and a passion to build relationships with internal and external collaborators.
· Excellent customer service skills handling matters in courteous and friendly manner.
· Proactive, hands-on approach, as well as a professional work ethic.
· The ability to manage time wisely and prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
· Self-motivated, highly efficient, strong attention to details.
· Ability to work in a high pressure, deadline-driven environment autonomously.
· Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, Raiser's Edge or other fundraising database, and research tools.
Educational Alliance "Perks"
ü Competitive salary
ü Discounts to programs at Educational Alliance
ü Comprehensive health insurance
ü Free gym membership at the Manny Cantor Fitness Center and free family membership at the 14th Street Y
ü Generous paid time off throughout the year
ü Company-funded cash benefit pension plan and other retirement planning opportunities