Denver International Airport is the 20th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th-busiest airport in the United States, serving 64.5 million passengers last year and generating more than $26 billion for the region annually. DEN is the largest and newest commercial airport in the United States and consists of 15 million square feet of built environment.
Denver International Airport (DEN) is seeking a seasoned Director of Infrastructure to become a key member of the Airport Infrastructure Management (AIM) Development leadership team.
DEN's 53 square miles contains massive areas of paved land including: 184 lane miles of roadways--Pena Boulevard averages 3000vph peak; 12 surface parking lots--33,385 parking spaces; and 6 runways--five at 12,000 feet, and one at 16,000 feet in length. Our airport has a reputation for being a leader in the pavement infrastructure discipline, has received multiple project achievement awards from the American Concrete Pavement Association.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced leader in Infrastructure Management, including pavement engineering and construction, materials engineering or quality assurance. In this role you will have the opportunity to apply your leadership skills, and innovative ideas to continue building upon the legacy of our airport and ensure DEN maintains the reputation as a Leader in pavement management. You will oversee: major concrete programs including construction, reconstruction, stabilization, and panel replacements on roadways; major utility infrastructure such as water and sewer; and airfield construction programs.
- Develops annual and multi-year work plans and strategies to meet business needs. Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards to ensure success.
- Communicates business and work area plans and goals to managers and supervisors to secure buy-in. Reviews, approves, and implements recommended changes to plans and leads the development of process and operational improvements.
- Oversees and implements standards, design standards manuals, master specifications, policies and procedures.
- Develops and monitors the budget and oversees financial well-being by analyzing cost effectiveness. Prioritizes and allocates resources to achieve strategies. Utilizes resources to develop or expand services and/or operation. Ensures resources are utilized appropriately and do not exceed the established budget without approval.
- Resolves sensitive, and at times confidential, and controversial issues by making decisions that are inclusive of multiple perspectives. Resolves escalated employee and customer complaints including long-term resolutions in problem areas.
- Represents the division/department in meetings with elected and appointed officials, other city entities, and state and federal agencies. Serves as the airport's representative with a variety of public, business, and community organizations. Fosters collaborative relationships to the benefit of the organization.
- Reviews and approves performance metrics established by supervisors and managers.
- Coaches, mentors, and challenges staff. Champions continuous improvement, including devising new strategies and new opportunities. Sets performance standards for the division and ensure operations achieve or exceed performance metrics.
- Demonstrates personal accountability, responsibility, and initiative, and holds staff to same standards.
- Builds effective teams, encourages zealous debate and dialogue, encourages strengths and addresses deficiencies.
- Selects, trains, develops, and evaluates subordinate staff. Makes decisions on hiring, terminations, promotions, and disciplinary actions as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Five (5) years of engineering management experience
- Background in concrete pavement and pavement management systems
- Aviation construction experience at a major international airport a plus
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Architecture.
- Experience: Three (3) years of experience supervising licensed engineers or architects.
- Licensures/Certification(s): Requires a valid Driver's License at the time of application. Requires registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) by the Colorado State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers at the time of application. Or requires registration as an Architect by the Colorado State Board of Registration at the time of application. Registration in another state will be accepted in lieu of this requirement, provided that the applicant has Colorado registration at completion of probation. Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.
- Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.