Make a difference! Be inspired! Accuray helps cancer patients live longer, better lives.
Accuray Incorporated (Nasdaq: ARAY) invents, manufactures and supports a complete portfolio of radiation therapy and radiosurgery platforms for treating multiple forms of cancer. Our team works passionately to create a future without the fear, pain or human suffering of cancer. With over 800 systems installed worldwide, our leading edge technologies - the Cyberknife®, TomoTherapy® and Radixact™ Systems - put the emphasis on patient-focused care. Our offerings range from high-precision radiosurgery for early-stage and localized disease to 3D image-guided, intensity-modulated-radiation therapy for more advanced disease throughout the body. For more information, please visit www.accuray.com.
The Director of Imaging Systems oversees the planning, advanced development, product development and sustaining engineering for all radiation detector (kV and mV), tomographic reconstruction and image processing sub-systems. The Director ensures balanced architecture and design decisions across schedule, quality and extensibility dimensions. The Director is responsible for recruiting and developing staff while committing to a culture of continuous process and organization improvement.
Technical oversight and leadership
- Oversees design and development of product sub-assemblies, analysis, prototyping, debugging, platform integration, documentation, and testing to ensure final design needs meet approved requirements.
- Oversees platform architecture and design process, using own technical ability, experience, and industry knowledge to lead and motivate engineering teams.
- Responds to marketing requirements and other cross-functional inputs to develop system level requirements and architecture design
- Takes part in review activities for all aspects of the product development process (e.g. requirements, design, and hazard reviews).
- Ensures products are developed using an open, extensible architecture.
- Escalates issues to staff level to ensure appropriate attention and resolution.
Resource allocation and deployment
- Negotiates scope and requirements by participating with directors, managers, and group leads in the development of schedules to address product roadmap requirements, including task estimation, resulting in engineering execution plans clearly defining measurable engineering phases or milestones.
- Commits to and delivers on agreed schedules with quality.
- Determines resource allocation and deploys according to plan, surfacing issues and proposing solutions in the event of resource changes or emergent technology and design issues requiring corrective action.
- Detects project execution risks and takes timely preventative or corrective action.
Team leadership and development
- Communicates key information to staff from business updates on timely basis.
- Builds capacity across the Imaging management team by identifying skill gaps, making and executing plans to address them.
- Manages teams’ performance, including through annual and mid-term performance reviews, sharing observations and suggestions for greater effectiveness on individual and team basis throughout the year.
- Rewards and recognizes performance on individual and team basis, utilizing Accuray programs and those of the department.
- Coaches, mentors and develops managers to enhance their professional growth, identifying stretch opportunities, providing feedback on individual strengths and developmental needs, and surfacing interests through regular one-on-one discussion.
- Creates internal succession plan and advances it to ensure development and exposure of identified potential successors to experiences necessary.
- Identifies needs for process improvement and development in the Imaging team space and drives necessary changes, ensuring their completion and/or revision.
- Reviews, recommends, and implements changes in procedures consistent with company policies and objectives.
Safety and quality assurance
- Ensures engineering documentation and processes conform to regulatory requirements.
- Ensures safety and quality considerations and requirements are pro-actively addressed and implemented in product design.
- Addresses and manages in a timely fashion safety and quality issues raised by customers or staff.
- Assures that quality processes are followed and that a high quality product is produced.
- Instills quality-focused approach across all teams.
Product input and strategy
- Contributes to development of product strategy, product and business plans, and marketing requirements.
- Participates actively in customer discussions, e.g. trade shows, to ensure customer-focused product design and engineering effort.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Physics, Software, Mathematics, ElectricalEngineering (Master’s preferred) or equivalent work experience.
- Greater than 10 years’ experience in radiation detection, image reconstruction and/or image processing. Medical device experience is strongly desired.
- Greater than 5 years in managing engineering projects and/or leading functional groups.
- Experience with proven results in managing teams across multiple projects simultaneously.
- Well versed in engineering change introduction processes.
- Experience in managing third party development collaborations or partnerships is strongly desirable.