Position Summary: The VPDOR dean’s office is seeking a Director of Human Resources to join the team working under the direction of the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration. You will serve as a strategic human resources advisor for the senior leadership team and oversee the full range of human resources management for VPDOR’s units, with approximately 750 benefit eligible staff. You will manage a team of three human resources staff to address all staff related issues, policies, programs, and processes; manage the entire human resources function for the organization; and maintain accountability for the budget, as assigned. You will work with a high level of independence and exercise a high degree of initiative, influence, and judgment.
For consideration, applications must include, as separate documents, a letter of interest and a CV or resume.
In this role, you will:
- Lead HR engagement initiatives in collaboration with VPDOR's management and senior leadership by having an excellent understanding of the VPDOR's objectives, issues, needs, and key success factors.
- Develop organization-specific policies and practices; actively lead the human resources strategy for planning processes, and actively promote best practices.
- Design and lead strategies for facilitating organizational and behavioral change. Perform needs assessment and process improvement; make recommendations on organizational design and development issues; establish metrics and monitor trends.
- Investigate complex employee relations issues and initiate appropriate resolution; recommend and facilitate effective solutions in alignment with applicable policies and laws; assess risk to the organization and identify compliance issues. Identify and analyze trends; make recommendations for changes/improvements. Coach and advise staff on organizational, employee, and labor relations issues.
- Participate in setting organizational objectives and goals, and design performance appraisal process for VPDOR. Provide relevant training and guidance to managers and employees; initiate and/or direct appropriate interventions; independently handle and/or manage redesign and reassignment efforts.
- Identify, direct, and/or deliver the training and development planning for individuals and groups; lead organizational and team effectiveness assessment.
- Direct talent management program (recruitment, retention, workforce planning, and staff development), and provide effective recruitment methods for assigned areas. Structure complex offers; support or lead high level and complex searches; advise on affirmative action objectives.
- Manage VPDOR's salary-setting program; develop guidelines for program implementation. Advise managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; design incentive and bonus programs.
- Oversee processes for workers' compensation, disability, leave, work place accommodation requests, and health and safety issues; inform managers as needed. Act as a resource to others in organization, and oversee the accurate documentation and retention of recordkeeping.
- Oversee and approve human resources transactions submitted for processing. Prepare reports, and analyze data available through local and centralized database resources.
- Manage the performance of direct reports. Set team objectives, priorities, and resources to align with department objectives.
- Participate in and/or lead human resources-wide and university human resources projects/initiatives, as needed.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and eight years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience as a consultant and advisor to senior management in all human resources areas, including: employee relations, employment and labor law, compensation, staffing and employment, training and development, performance coaching and management, and organizational development.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and understanding of group dynamics.
- Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse client group, including senior leaders.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and management courage.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, creative problem solving, judgment, negotiating, influencing, and strategic decision making skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to advise on and implement organizational change.
- Demonstrated end-to-end experience in the development and execution of organization-wide initiatives.
- Excellent facilitation and oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training to senior management and other audiences.
- Strong supervision/management and staff development experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite and human resource information systems.