DIRECTOR of HOSPITAL HIM
The Director of Hospital HIM is responsible for successful maintenance of patient records and organizational and administrative operation of the Health Information Management Services Department. Oversight responsibility for operational aspects of department. Serves as resource for faculty regarding medical record content and regulatory requirements. Assures availability of the medical records at all times.
- Establishes, reviews and updates short-term and long-term goals in order to be consistent with hospital-wide plans
- Analyzes, selects and implements programs necessary to achieve the goals and strategic plans of the hospital.
- Executes problem identification, data gathering and implementation of strategy actions that are in the best interest of the department and its mission, values and philosophy
- Develops comprehensive realistic annual budgets that reflect departmental needs based on external and internal environments and the application of cost-effective management.
- Manages the department in a cost-effective manner by utilizing current materials management techniques, maximizing human resources and continuously reevaluating the manner in which services are delivered
- Develops and determines, annually, a capital budget for administrative approval
- Establishes policies and procedures necessary for effective and efficient systems and management of human resources. Establishes and monitors standards of performance among all subordinates and ensures that standards are being consistently met.
- Establishes and monitors standards of performance among all subordinates and ensures that standards are being consistently met
- Improves subordinate performance through ongoing counseling, coaching, delegation and feedback practices
- Assumes responsibility for a comprehensive departmental orientation program that is documented for each new employee.
- Establishes specific and necessary planning, control and quality assurance mechanisms that monitor patient care, administrative and economic outcomes.
- Maintains a sensitive, fair and impartial approach to dealing with employees
- Uses accurate, clear and concise oral and written communication.
- Conducts department-wide meetings at least once a month, to maintain two-way communication, problem solving and information passing.
- Interacts positively with members of the medical staff by cultivating liaisons and promoting interaction.
- Attends meetings, prepares reports and analyzes and provides recommendations in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assumes the responsibility for successfully fulfilling standards and criteria of licensing and accrediting agencies
- Organizes department hierarchy/structure in a manner that results in efficiency, effectiveness and responsiveness.
- Is responsible for maintaining performance improvement activities in the department
- Is responsible for educating staff on performance improvement activities.
- Represents the hospital in court cases involving subpoena of medical or clinical records.
- Enforces suspension policy for delinquent medical records.
Degree as a Registered Health Information Administrator or a Registered Health Information Technician with appropriate educational requirements Three or more years of previous hospital experience in all aspects of health information management functions Knowledge of JCAHO and state regulations regarding documentation requirements Ability to work with physicians in a collaborative manner.