The Head of Hardware Engineering is responsible for leading the design and synthesis of world class molecular diagnostic mechatronic systems. This person leads a team of engineers in the areas of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, firmware development, and mechatronic subsystem development. They are responsible for resourcing, planning, and executing all engineering activities within assigned areas and the quality of the products produced. Initial responsibilities include staffing of the function through direct hiring and identifying co-development partners. This person works closely with the Heads of Molecular Technologies, PPM, Program Management, Instrument Development, and the Chief Engineer/Architect to ensure the successful execution of projects. The best candidate for this role is a hands-on leader capable of defining a product vision and capable of leading a team in executing that vision. The Head of Hardware Engineering will ultimately be responsible for an organization of 10-15 engineers.
- · Serves as a key member of the MDX PLM extended leadership team to align hardware engineering activities to the long term objectives of the MDX organization.
- · Develops robust, innovative and low cost mechatronic solutions for molecular diagnostic analyzers.
- · Manages an engineering organization responsible for multiple projects. Identifies and obtains key talent.
- · Direct responsibility for quality, reliability, reusability, development cost, and development timeline of engineering solutions delivered.
- · Identifies needed decisions and drives the decision making process.
- · Schedules and leads meetings to coordinate interdepartmental project activities required to resolve issues.
- · Involved with negotiating, and then managing, business agreements between Siemens organizational units and between the project and suppliers, OEM partners, or Co-development partners.
- · Monitors and resolves any unresolved resource bottlenecks as priorities and projects timelines change. Responsible for quality of deliverables to manufacturing, service, and training.
- · Responsible for capturing design knowledge and root causes of product performance degradation.
- · Responsible for continually optimizing reusable design solutions and for maintaining them in high level of integration readiness.
- · Responsible for engineering proficiency improvement in using advanced tools and methods for simulation based and model based development of mechatronics solutions.
- · Responsible for the safety and regulatory compliance of instruments developed
- · Heads overall organization assigned, and leads all related management and staff.
- · Plans and manages overall budget for organization assigned.
- · Creates and implements best practice product development vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to develop and improve business performance.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- · Master’s degree in mechanical, electrical, or biomedical engineering
- · Demonstrated track record of 8-15 years leading an engineering team in an FDA regulated environment.
- · Strong breadth of knowledge in the fields of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, fluidics, thermodynamics, instrument design, and mechatronic systems.
- · Proven success of leading an engineering organization in the delivery an FDA approved product to market.
- · Ability to work and influence in a matrixed organization is essential
- · Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills in order to communicate rapidly and effectively within the organization and to represent the company in a professional manner
- · Ability to create a product vision and champion that vision within the organization
- · Business experience in resource allocation, budgeting, project management and leadership.
- · Ability to shift resources and priorities to meet critical deadlines. Design and implement products including design optimization, robust engineering, product line engineering, and design transfer.
- · Create a high performance, quality focused team with a strong culture and respect for each other. Encourage and expect innovation and input from staff at all levels. Ensure the teams understand their impact to customer and patient health through their contributions to the enhanced product experience and ongoing expertise support.
Requisition Number: 222970