Overseeing a functional Test Engineering team, the Director, Hardware and System Test Engineering leads and inspires a comprehensive team of Hardware and System Test Engineers, in the execution of end-to-end testing of our products and features and the continuous improvement of our engineering capabilities.
The incumbent partners with leadership to define and drive strategic plans, objectives and priorities, ensuring quality execution of our Product/Project roadmaps. The Director, Hardware and System Test Engineering supports the evolution of the organization by facilitating and maintaining internal and external partnerships, ensuring technical and human capital scalability, cultivating a culture around the power of purpose and effective communication, and successfully establishing structure in a flexible manner that allows for all team members to thrive.
- Oversees the Hardware and SystemTest Engineering organization for assigned function; building end-to-end test capabilities across numerous development teams.
- Partners with cross-functional leadership teams to establish strategic plans, objectives, and priorities - ensuring alignment with Organizational strategic objectives.
- Designs, develops, documents, implements, and maintains Hardware and System Test Engineering policies and procedures to ensure timely, accurate, and thorough testing. Establishes test workflows, processes, and methods which are tightly integrated with Project and Development teams.
- Identifies, recommends, and implements tools for Test Reporting, Test Management, Test Automation, etc.
- Establishes key metrics for Hardware and System Test Engineering (performance, quality, continuous improvement, etc.) necessary for the measurement of engineering deliverables, test suites, test teams, and development teams.
- Defines and outlines standards, for the Engineering Requirement and Architecture Requirement documentation, necessary for Hardware and System Test Engineering to conduct effective testing.
- Defines and outlines standards for test documentation and testing. Ensures documentation supports development and outlines best practices for Development teams, as appropriate.
- Oversees the Hardware and System Test Engineering staff assignments, provides coaching and feedback on program test strategy development. Works with Hardware and System Test Engineering staff to define testing scope and ensure effective test planning, execution, and reviews are conducted on schedule.
- Fosters cross-functional team work and promotes collaboration, coordination and consistent communication among team members and stakeholders. Builds trusted relationships with partner teams, to ensure alignment with priorities.
Experience & Skills Required
- Ability to regularly assess current state, determine, and implement necessary processes, procedures, training, and tools.
- Proven ability to design and manage an effective suite of tests executed against development documentation and designs.
- Deep understanding of documenting test results, linked to requirements, for safety systems.
- Established effectiveness with training and influencing cross-functional teams to provide required documentation,with metrics, necessary to conduct full test coverage against requirements.
- Proven success with utilizing test and test documentation to develop engineer skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain change control processes for published test plans.
- Established success with consistently forecasting accurate test effort and duration for releases, future defects, find/fix rates, and project release dates.
- Proven success with consistently reporting clear and concise testing status, including quality and key metrics.
- Established effectiveness with monitoring testing progress, identifying gaps/inefficiencies, and implementing adjustments, as necessary.
- At least 10 years experience in Hardware and System test engineering teams.