Director of Government Relations
Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation?s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad. By changing policies, programs and conditions that allow hunger and poverty to persist, we provide help and opportunity far beyond the communities in which we live. Bread for the World Institute provides policy analysis on hunger and strategies to end it. We are seeking a director to lead Bread?s policy and legislative efforts to end hunger by 2030 by developing policy proposals in collaboration with the Institute to respond to Congressional agenda; and development and implementing a legislative strategy to continue the gains made for people living in poverty in the United States and globally. Provide overall leadership and direction for the Department, Government Relations. This position reports to the Managing Director. If you are interested, pleaseapply at
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of legislative strategy, including priorities, congressional targets, and responses to Congressional action.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing the organization?s campaign strategies and tactics, including assisting in the development of Bread?s legislative, grassroots, and digital advocacy strategies in coordination with the president, managing director and Strategy Council members.
- Work with the directors to deploy Bread?s grassroots, media outreach, church contacts, and coalition partners to maximize the impact on legislative priorities and strategy, including Bread?s digital advocacy network.
- Manage the Government Relations team and encourage cross-departmental collaboration with all departments, the Institute, and the Alliance to End Hunger. This includes supervising department staff members, fellows and interns; assigning management responsibilities as appropriate to the Deputy Director; overseeing the departmental budget including managing grant budgets and deliverables; and supporting collaborative interdepartmental relations.
- Develop and manage a network of key stakeholders to achieve Bread?s policy and legislative agenda, including but not limited to members of Congress, congressional staff, executive branch officials, and trade associations and non-governmental organization colleagues. Lobby and oversee Bread?s relationships with congressional offices and administration officials, especially at high-level meetings.
- Promote and oversee Bread?s coalition work, notably the Circle of Protection among others; and strengthen partnerships with think tanks and other advocacy organizations both secular and faith-based.
- Inform the management team on legislative issues, facilitate policy discussions related to legislative and policy positions, and collaborate on institutional priorities. Support Bread?s President and Managing Director in their lobbying, public speaking, and media work.
- Help develop and oversee messaging directed to Congress, the administration and Bread members.
- Review, edit, and ensure the accuracy and policy consistency of Bread publications and internal documents as they relate to policy. Work closely with Institute Director to address any discrepancies.
- Ensure the accurate and timely tracking of activities in the organization?s information systems through ad hoc and standard reports, including the EvaluationReport.
- Prepare materials for and represent the department at board meetings.
- Serve as a member of Strategy Council and chairinternal work groups as needed.
- Other duties as requested by the President and Managing Director.
- Represent department in internal or external meetings as required.
- Participate in public speaking engagements and media interviews to promote Bread?s policy priorities
Oversee department staff members, interns and fellows.
- Bachelors degree is required; a Master degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years? relevant experience, with at least 5years experience of progressive management experience. Work with ecumenical organizations preferred.
- Commitment to the mission and faith basis of Bread for the World and ability to communicate the case for supporting Bread.
- In-depth knowledge of the legislative process; demonstrated lobbying success and campaign wins; strong experience on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, and/or with policy making organizations; and established congressional and executive branch contacts.
- Pragmatic, strategic thinker. Personable, trustworthy, diplomatic, and perceived as such by colleagues and direct reports.
- Proven track record of creating a test and learn culture of experimentation and implementation. Ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas - a sense of inquisitiveness and intellectual curiosity.
- Solid understanding of hunger and poverty issues and an ability to communicate these issues to members of Congress, the executive branch, and Bread?s grassroots.
- Experience managing and coaching a team with strong, collaborative management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment on a multitude of issues simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate highly complex information at a national level to external contacts to influence results and achieve strategic goals for multiple units.
- Articulate, with proven ability to write effectively and speak persuasively to groups of all sizes and types, including ability to identify and engage target audiences and communicate complex ideas or issues tailored to the audience, using appropriate formats and media.
- Experience approving decisions that commit financial and human resources to a course of action (60% tactical; 40% strategic decision-making), which is subject to executive review.
WORK ENVIRONMENT ISSUES:
? Periodic hill visits and travel is required. Must be responsive to emails and phone calls off-site during evenings, weekends, and holidays to support time-sensitive matters.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.