$100K — $150K *
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty.
The Office of Global Affairs (OGA) is a catalyst and a hub for all things global at the UW, connecting the diverse internal and external networks of scholars, students, and community leaders engaged with international issues.
To facilitate these functions, OGA has five main areas of responsibility: administration of study abroad; support for international research; oversight of UW's centers and offices abroad; management of UW international relations and protocols; and coordination of strategic initiatives in the key areas of global health, global environment, global technology, global development challenges, and global cultural change.
The Director of Global Engagement will play a key role in the Office of Global Affairs (OGA) by leading a small team and directing a strategically integrated effort to design, implement, and manage new and existing initiatives in global research, teaching, and community engagement. The Director will also have a lead role in enhancing and communicating the value of OGA and the UW’s global activities in a manner that, when leveraged, will accelerate global initiatives as well as raise funds for new endowments and current use funding.
Diversity is a core value of the University of Washington and the Office of Global Affairs (OGA). We are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive and equitable working environment for our staff. We believe every member on our team enriches our diversity by exposing us to a broad range of ways to understand and engage with the world, identify challenges, and to discover, design and deliver solutions.
The challenge of this position is to support the Vice Provost, the Associate Vice Provost, and OGA in promoting, facilitating, and coordinating opportunities for cross-college, cross-continent collaborations in research, education, and community engagement in a university structure that is very de-centralized. They will build robust and meaningful relationships with UW faculty, departments, colleges, schools, and administrative units and with international partners.
Leadership of Global Engagement Initiatives
• Lead key areas of OGA’s mission of global engagement with a focus on research, teaching, and broader community engagement. Lead related strategic projects.
• Provide strategic leadership to the Vice Provost (VP), Associate Vice Provost (AVP), and other appropriate staff in designing and implementing global engagement strategies, advancement programs, and efforts needed to advance the mission of OGA.
• Partner with the new senior advisor of faculty global engagement to support strategic outreach to faculty with a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) lens, and support DEI related OGA initiatives.
• Lead advancement and alumni engagement initiatives and strategy for OGA, partner with Advancement, Alumni Relations, and the OGA Assistant Director of Communications on key strategic initiatives. Develop and implement strategies for cultivating advancement opportunities and relationships with current and prospective donors, including individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Develop key relationships with UW leadership, international partners, and other relevant partners to foster the implementation of strategic initiatives and projects.
• Lead strategic planning for the office and develop program/project performance measures and track progress and outcomes.
Leadership of Global Engagement Team
• Manage Global Engagement staff and provide strategic direction to, and oversight of, the team’s work. This includes providing leadership related to marketing and communications, international agreements, the Global Innovation Fund, and global diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
• Lead a team that provides support for VP, AVP and overall office management and leadership. Provide critical and timely advice to leadership and support the office to ensure seamless work for UW global engagement.
• Manage the Assistant Director of Strategy and Communications to refine and implement a robust strategic marketing and communications plan and establish strategies for measuring effectiveness and outcomes.
• Provide direction and coordination for OGA’s special events, with the goal of creating engaging, inspiring and meaningful events for both internal and external audiences.
• Provide strategic direction and oversight for management of UW international agreements as necessary seek counsel and approval of the Office of the Attorney General and/or Special Assistant Attorney General(s) regarding legal matters for international initiative and partnership agreements.
Other Leadership Duties as Assigned
• Direct strategic initiatives and partnerships as needed.
• Master's Degree and four to five years of experience working in an international education office at a large research university, particularly one with international partner institutions.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Experience studying or working abroad.
• Experience working in a global facing office at a large research university, particularly one with international partner institutions.
• Experience may substitute for formal education.
• Experience managing complex international education relationships; knowledgeable about diverse international education systems and recent innovations in educational partnerships.
• Experience with advancement strategies.
• Experience working with legal counsel and in a compliance environment.
• Demonstrated public speaking, strong drafting and editing skills.
Valid through: 12/8/2021
$150K — $200K *
5 days ago