At Sylvan, we are building academic confidence, igniting intellectual curiosity, and inspiring the love of learning. We believe education is everything. A child’s future depends on a solid education and a love of learning. We teach our students how to learn, so they build confidence and develop the skills needed to achieve success in school and beyond.
Making sure learning clicks for each child isn’t always easy, but it’s exactly what we love. When you choose Sylvan as a career, you join a group of caring, bright and motivated people who share a passion for making learning personal and inspiring kids to thrive. Join us in changing lives!
Sylvan Learning is a franchise organization and is the leading provider of tutoring to students of all ages, grades and skill levels with more than 700 centers located throughout North America.
Are you an energetic, flexible team player with a positive attitude and willingness to go beyond the scope of the job to help your team meet its objectives? Are you looking for a Company where you can grow and develop your career while building a skillset that will last a lifetime?
Then we want you!
Sylvan is currently looking for a Director of Franchise Development!
The Director of Franchise Development will be a self-motivated team player with a “selling personality” who can immediately contribute to Sylvan’s franchise development results. Exceptional customer relations and decision-making skills, combined with the highest level of integrity are required. The successful candidate will have outstanding communication, problem solving, and relationship-building skills and will immediately contribute to the overall operation of Sylvan’s Franchise Development team.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Achieving all goals/objectives of the franchise sales and development plan within a targeted region. The incumbent will plan, develop, receive approval for and execute the sales/marketing strategies and tactics required to meet stated goals/objectives.
- Conducting full life-cycle franchise sales for Sylvan both individually and as part of the franchise development team.
- Identifying and cultivating sources for new franchise candidates as well as existing franchisees for additional growth.
- Following a disciplined but flexible process to close franchise deals according to expected timelines.
- Coordinating implementation of all programs through Franchise Development, Legal, Operations, Marketing, and other Franchise Growth staff.
- Developing and executing business plan to sell Franchise and/or Development Agreements to new and/or existing Franchisees as required by the applicable strategic and franchise development growth plan.
- Attracting qualified franchise candidates through social media, paid search, local advertising, sales flyers/brochures, open houses, industry groups, direct mail, trade shows, etc. Developing and utilizing creative new approaches to attract candidates.
- Cultivating expansion and/or business transition (re-sale) opportunities for existing franchisees; refer leads to other franchise development team members as appropriate.
- Delivering executive-level sales presentations to multi-unit franchise candidates.
- Tracking and reporting on the progress of each prospective candidate through the qualification process. Maintaining accurate and timely records in CRM/pipeline report(s).
- Performing and/or hosting initial meeting, Discovery Day and/or other orientation with prospective Sylvan franchisee candidates.
- Presenting Sylvan franchise procedures and company standards to potential franchisee candidates.
- Responding to all requests for additional information regarding Sylvan system to potential franchisee candidates.
- Examining and studying all potential franchisee candidate credit and background information and recommend action to Approval Committee.
- Coordinating closing preparation with franchisee candidates and Sylvan legal department.
- Under the guidance of senior executives, negotiating key elements of the agreement, including at times pricing and other key financial terms, as required.
- Serving as the key market functional expert and as the go-to resource for franchise and licensing questions and issues in a market.
- Leading marketing ideas and initiatives for assigned geographies/territories.
- Representing Sylvan at industry functions, presenting the Sylvan franchise value proposition and positively representing the brand and team.
- A BS/BA or equivalent and relevant experience in sales of franchises for personal services or in sales of complex business services. Franchise Development/Sales Experience or close equivalent is required.
- Experience in a multi-unit franchise environment with 200 or more locations is desirable.
- Experience achieving and maintaining high levels of results in a retail environment is required.
- Multi-year success in consultative or franchise sales and/or business development.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time within assigned region. Experience in generating leads using technology/web-based strategies.
- Goal-oriented sales professional with discipline to work independently
- Demonstrated success in implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze, assess, and recommend business development needs, such as new franchise sales or franchise marketing tools.
- Strong relationship-development skills.
- Strong influencing skills with senior management.
- Ability to close deals/sales. Success in cross-functional/matrixed implementation.
- Professional written and verbal communication.
- Experience in a multi-line/site/state global franchise business experience is preferred.
- Must demonstrate a high-level of accommodation and flexibility to work in a fast-paced environment of constant change; able to perform well under pressure and deadlines
- The ideal candidate will be well organized and confident to work independently but also a strong team player
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Desire to consistently grow and develop your career.
What you get in return: As a Sylvan team member, you’ll work in a fast-paced environment and make an impact on our business contributing towards the success of our company! Our total rewards package includes:
- Competitive market-pay based compensation.
- Comprehensive benefits plans to include, medical, dental & vision plans for full time employees and a generous PTO package
- Tuition reimbursement eligibility
- 401(k) plan with discretionary match
- Fun Company Culture, with monthly employee engagement activities, that empowers team members and rewards outstanding performance
- Additionally, through on-the-job training and learning opportunities, you can develop your career at Sylvan and succeed with us in future roles!