Job Description Summary
Direct the food and beverage operations of the hotel to ensure the achievement of established food and beverage quality and guest servicequality standards and departmental revenue and profit goals. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures.
- Direct the day-to-day activities and assignments of food and beverage staff, ensure proper coverage, develop and communicate departmental strategies and goals, and assign/prioritize work. Communicate and enforce policies and procedures with all staff.
- Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources-related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert General Manager of potentially serious issues.
- Ensure all staff is properly trained on quality, service standards, and have the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
- Achieve budgeted revenues, prepare monthly forecast, monitor and control food, beverage and labor costs, and maximize profitability within all areas of the food and beverage department. Participate in the preparation of the annual departmental operating budget and financial plans that support the overall objectives of the hotel.
- Establish and achieve quality and guest satisfaction goals. Respond in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints, and/or requests to ensure a high-level guest satisfaction.
- Develop implement, and maintain local food and beverage marketing programs for the hotel; participate in and maintain system-wide food and beverage marketing programs and promotions. Monitor local competitors and industry trends. Review and approve menu design and concepts with Executive Chef. Adhere to brand standards.
- Establish procedures and timeframes for conducting inventory. Determine minimum and maximum stocks for all food, beverage, material, and equipment.
- Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, inventory, and equipment, (2) ensure the security of monies, credit and financial transactions, (3) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (4) to maximize waste and pilferage.
- Ensure that all food and beverage equipment, including but not limited to sinks, hoods, coolers, freezers, etc., are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all food and beverage facilities including banquet/convention space are cleaned, vacuumed, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume. Notify engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
- May recruit, evaluate, and select entertainment for food and beverage outlets and events.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Rooms, Housekeeping, Maintenance, and Guest Services.
- Interact with outside contacts:
- Guests- to ensure their total satisfaction
- Vendors- to ensure adequate inventory of supplies and equipment, to discuss pricing or service issues, to resolve any vendor performance issues, etc.
- Regulatory agencies- regarding safety and compliance matters
- Other contacts as needed (professional organizations, community groups, local media)
- May serve as “Manager on Duty” as required.
This is the top food and beverage job in a full-service, luxury or resort hotel. Supervises a large number of employees in multiple major food and beverage outlets and kitchens, and high volume banquet and convention facilities that cater to more than 500 people, and a large number of VIP and key guests. Oversees multiple subordinate managers and supervisors.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Bachelor’s degree in Hotel Management, culinary arts, or related field plus four + years related experience, including management experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Must speak fluent English.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting up to 50 pounds
- moving about the facilities
- Handling food, objects, products and utensils
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with customers and employees; demonstrating ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, brand and the company.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, interpreting results, giving and receiving instructions, and training.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Alcohol awareness certification and /or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as
required by local or state government agency.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Additional Job Description
Sonesta recognizes that benefits play a vital role in helping ensure the health and financialsecurity of employees and their families. We offer a variety of benefits to our employees including:
- Health Benefits (Health & Dental Insurance)
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Sonesta Hotels & Other Outlets Discounts
- Paid Holidays
- Sick Days
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Recognition Programs
- Newborn & Adopted Child Leave
- Spousal & Domestic Partner Leave
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability
- Long term Disability
- Employee Referral Program
- Credit Union
- Direct Deposit
- Employee Activities & Events
Upon submitting your application, please ensure you complete a full application in addition to attaching a resume. Incomplete applications received will not be considered.