Director of Financial Reporting & Technical Accounting
The Director of Financial Reporting and Technical Accounting leads the organization’s financialreporting, technical accounting, closing processes, audits and related activities. The Director manages the company-wide monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes, including financial statement review and variance analysis. The Director provides technical expertise in complex accounting and reporting matters presented by new technical guidance, business transactions, and new business operations. Most activities of this position are completed without management’s direct supervision or approval.
- Coordinate and prepare SEC filings (including 10-Q and 10K). Facilitate in-depth internal/external review and ensure accuracy and timeliness of reporting.
- Oversee and direct the preparation of earnings release tables; review, tie out, and edit earnings releases and senior executive’s scripts; coordinate the support for the quarterly earnings release and call.
- Coordinate annual external audits and quarterly reviews. Function as primary liaison with external auditors.
- Maintain internal and external accounting and reporting calendars and manage company-wide close process to promote accuracy and timeliness of reporting.
- Lead company-wide technical accounting and disclosure research efforts. Take a proactive role in understanding changes in the company’s business operations and monitor developments and trends in regulatory requirements (SEC/GAAP regulations and SOX requirements) to effectively evaluate, communicate, and implement resulting accounting policies, procedures, and related internal controls.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required; MBA or master’s degree in Accountancy preferred
- Combined 10+ years professional experience in accounting, reporting, and auditing
- Public accounting experience strongly preferred
- 3+ years leading SEC reporting functions
- 3+ years in a supervisory role
Certifications or Licenses:
- CPA license with active status required
- One direct report
- Indirect leadership scope spans the entire accounting department
Other Skills & Abilities:
- Strong proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Large ERP/financial system proficiency
- Internal/external reporting systems and software proficiency
- Experience preparing/reviewing XBRL tagging
- Proven technical accounting research and policy development and implementation capabilities and application to industry
- Technical writing skills required