Director of Financial Reporting
8 - 10 years experience • Financial Services
Job Description - Director of Financial Reporting – Real Estate & Alternative Investment Funds - Toronto or Boston (1710324)
Director of Financial Reporting – Real Estate & Alternative Investment Funds - Toronto or Boston-1710324
Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference and a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations. Manulife Asset Management is the asset management division of Manulife Financial and a leading global investment manager with offices in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and throughout Asia. Operating globally as Manulife Asset Management, we offer a diversified group of companies and affiliates providing comprehensive asset management solutions for institutional investors, investment funds and individuals in key markets around the world. Manulife Asset Management manages a broad range of investments including equities, government and corporate bonds, real estate, mortgages, oil and gas, timber, agriculture and structured products. The role of the Global Wealth and Asset Management Accounting and Reporting legal entity reporting team is to support businesses in all accounting and reporting aspects. The Global Wealth and Asset Management Accounting and Reporting team area is responsible for global client and regulatory reporting for private asset third party products, support legal entities, and provide sound financial advice to business stakeholders.
General Accountability: Reporting to the AVP & Head of Investment Division Legal Entity Reporting, the incumbent will be accountable for supporting and developing the reporting processes and providing ongoing analytical support to produce financial reporting and ongoing operations of the offered 3rd party funds of Manulife Asset Management Private Markets. The incumbent will also be participating to ongoing transformation and automation projects, as required. Responsibilities:
1. Accounting & Controls
Accountable for ensuring and overseeing a strong financial controls environment around accounting and reporting processes which will include accurate month and quarter end process in compliance with various GAAPs, policies and procedures including oversight over the funds NAV close process as well as oversight over funds accounting policies. Act as a source of information and advice in connection with all finance related matters, both externally and internally, as required, including with internal audit and operational risk functions.
2. Audited Financial Statements and Regulatory Reporting
The incumbent will be accountable for producing the annual audited financial statements of the 3rd party funds including working with the firms’ auditors in completing the annual audit process within deadlines. Also accountable for ensuring all local regular and ad hoc regulatory reporting including regulatory returns, responses to regulatory queries in relation to the financial aspects of any such returns, maintenance of adequate capital in accordance with the regulation regarding the legal entities is completed in a timely and accurate manner.
3. Reporting and Analysis
The incumbent will be responsible for analyzing and monitoring product and fund revenues and expense budget to actual revenues and expenses and will support various finance and business stakeholders by analyzing variances. The incumbent will develop and implement processes and controls to support third party public and private funds, separate accounts client and financial/tax reporting. Also implement processes to ensure appropriate oversight is maintained on third party service providers. Support financial analysis of product development initiatives.
Coordination of partnership/corporation tax filings for 3rd party funds. Oversight on tax compliance and REIT compliance processes for 3rd party funds
5. Transformation & Special Projects
Incumbent will be required to act as lead and work with various global teams to on transformational or special projects such as new product designs, product launches, various automation projects or process improvements.
6. People Management
Manage a team of four qualified finance professionals Toronto with responsibility for inspiring, training, coaching, mentoring, and providing technical knowledge and performance management.
- Qualified accountant (CA, CGA, CMA or CPA)
- 8+ years of finance/accounting experience including global people and functional leadership experience
- Real Estate, REIT and Private Markets (Private Debt, Mortgages, Private Equity) experience is a must
- Asset Management Industry experience and a strong understanding of the investment funds and fund accounting
- Comprehensive knowledge of external reporting requirements, sound business practices and controls and accounting/audit principles which apply to the asset management industry and /financial services in general
- Demonstrated experience in working with senior management and various business partners to become a trusted business advisor and deliver results
- Demonstrated experience to work within global finance organizations and Shared Service Centers where there is no borders is a must
- Experience in dealing with regulators and necessary financial compliance requirements
- Experienced project manager and experience within finance transformation including data and reporting automation projects
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to lead, manage and develop professional accounting staff
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent analytical skills and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to work with complex financial issues and concepts
- Corporate Tax knowledge as it relates to the asset management industry
- Ability to influence associates and management within Manulife and within the finance function (Investment and Corporate) to achieve successful outcomes
- Good understanding of the various aspects of the business operations and the associated financial dynamics
- Initiative and willingness to explore new ideas and process re-engineering
- Ability to meet tight deadlines despite changing requirements and multiple competing priorities
- Ability to work with zero margin for error for information going to external stakeholders or board of directors
- Ability and appetite develop customized reporting solutions to meet diverse requirements of sophisticated clients