The position will be a key operational leader in the division, instrumental in supporting the Division President in managing the financial operations of the division and preparing key information for company-wide business plans and forecasts. With integrity as the highest priority, the position will maintain a focus on margin improvement, process improvement, division profitability, capital optimization and growth. Responsibilities include managing the budgeting and forecasting process for the Colorado division, assisting with underwriting of new land acquisitions, providing project data for corporate forecasting and reporting, cash management and ad hoc financial analyses and requests.
BUSINESS PLAN / FORECASTING:
- Responsible for the preparation and reliability of all division financial projections at the times and in the format prescribed by the Corporate office and division management.
- Assemble current project timelines, budgets, cash flows and other data necessary to update project level business plans.
- Review business plan and provide to Division President for review, comment and approval
- Provide division plan to Corporate for review.
- Provide additional support to corporate by summarizing key assumptions used in project forecasts, analyzing key variances from prior forecasts, and providing ad hoc reporting requests.
- Act as a key leader in ensuring the division delivers reliable and predictable operational performance.
- Responsible for analyzing all revenues, costs, profits and financial ratios -- both actual and projected. This includes, but is not limited to, presenting explanations of circumstances that impact these issues to the appropriate managers, offering potential solutions, and raising tactical and strategic questions.
- Provide other analyses that will promote effective decision-making and/or lead to procedural or financial improvement.
- Ensure the accuracy of all division budgets. This likely includes a high degree of interaction with other managers to acquire an overall sense of the operation.
- Hold monthly budget meetings to review project timelines, budget, and cash flow assumptions. Provide analytical support and propose revisions to budgets and cash flow forecasts. Confirmation and regular testing of the budgets supplied by managers is required.
- Work closely with Purchasing and Construction to budget for site improvements, direct and indirect construction costs.
- Work closely with Marketing Managers to budgets for models, selling costs & marketing costs.
- Work closely with Sales Managers to forecast sales, closings and revenues.
- Provide assistance for home pricing analyses and approvals
- Work closely with Division President to budget G&A for the division.
- Working closely with the Director of Sales, review, approve and sign all Purchase and Sale Agreements with homebuyers
- Oversee division compliance with SOX internal controls
- Assist in underwriting process by providing financial analysis support and sensitivities within underwriting model.
- Upon approval of projects, coordinate with Land Acquisition department and assume responsibility for project budgets and assumptions
- Coordinate with Accounting regarding matters related to entity formation and system setup.
- Track relevant land acquisition dates and assist in closing purchase transactions.
- Monitor all new projects and anticipate pending financing requirements.
- Coordinate with accounting regarding cash management. Ensure that capital calls, loan draws and closing proceeds are adequate to meet project cash needs.
- Compile and package all information necessary for loan and/or equity request packages, as needed.
- Coordinate the efforts of lenders, appraisers, attorneys, title, escrow and Subsidiary personnel to ensure the timely approval and funding of new requests.
- Coordinate with lenders, partners and Company personnel to ensure timely funding.
PRIMARY CONTACTS IN THIS ROLE
- Division President – daily. Obtain direction, review financial performance and projections, provide analytics and measurement, business partner.
- Division management team members – daily. Verify budgets, understand what is going on in the business
- Corporate management – varies. Keeping everyone apprised of key operational matters, proforma submittals, financial reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or finance
- 5-7 years of experience in accounting and/or financial analysis
- Prior construction, homebuilding, or real estate experience required.
Behavioral Traits, Attitudes and Skills
- Trustworthy, confident
- Positive attitude
- Ability to interact with and maintain good working relationships with team members and outside connections
- Analytical, operationally oriented, and creative thinker
- Ability to take charge, self-motivated.
- Resourceful and able to work independently.
- Ability to manage details.
- Ability to challenge others to consider better ways of accomplishing things while maintaining a team player approach.
- Advanced Excel skills required. Financial modeling, VBA, macros, and complex formulas capabilities strongly preferred.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Good judgment in handling multiple priorities and open-ended tasks and keeping management apprised as to issues and status.
- Pleasant, professional demeanor.
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the job.