Director of Finance - Decision Support, Capital Region Health
What You Will Do:
Rare opportunity for a DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - DECISION SUPPORT with University of Maryland Capital Region Health, Cheverly, MD.
The University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) is a university-based regional health care system focused on serving the health care needs of Maryland. We bring innovation, discovery and research to the care we provide all while educating the state’s future physicians and health care professionals. As one of the largest private employers in the state, the health system's 25,000 employees and 4,000 affiliated physicians provide primary and specialty care in more than 150 locations and at 14 hospitals. Be a Part of Something Greater by working in a world class organization.
University of Maryland Capital Region Health is a not-for-profit healthcare system serving the citizens of Prince George's County and the surrounding area. Our mission is to provide high quality, accessible healthcare services in partnership with our community. As a premier healthcare provider, we are dedicated to placing passionate and qualified applicants in open positions throughout our health system.
This opportunity will support the following:
- Improve overall hospital operations
- Assist with building a physician network
- Implement a benchmarking system that will lead into creating a productivity system
- Work with clinical leaders across facility to improve overall productivity
- Assist with software conversions to improve overall operations
Under the general direction, directs budgeting, cost accounting, decision supportreporting, analysis and decision support operations activities for the hospital(s) within the University of Maryland Medical System. This position is directly responsible for supporting Senior Management, Clinical Chiefs and Clinical Administrators with information required for business decisions. The Director is also responsible for the establishment of goals, objectives and standards of performance; development and implementation of policies and procedures; interpretation and insurance of compliance with relevant policies and procedures, standards, regulations and codes to personnel as they relate to decision support.
Principle Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Directs the budgeting activities of various entities of the University of Maryland Medical System including the preparation of budgets as well monitoring and reporting on financial statement variances to budget.
- Prepares routine financialreporting for the organization including but not limited to:
A. Volume reporting
B. Productivity reporting
C. FTE and salary reporting
3. Directs the maintenance and utilization of the cost accounting module of the Horizon Performance Manager (“HPM”) system.
4. Analyzes, assesses and implements cost accounting rules utilizing appropriate methodologies to accurately capture and maintain
procedural costs for Medical Center operations.
5. Directs the preparation of Clinical Program Budgets:
A. Works with Clinical Programs to assess financial impact of proposed changes including volume and staffing levels.
B. Utilizes projected volumes, revenues and expenses to produce detailed budgets by Program.
6. Directs the overall operations of all decision support systems including supervising operations issues; supervising UMMC Finance
relationship with UMMC ITG; supervising UMMC relationship with software vendors; and providing strategic direction.
7. Manages and directs a staff of Managers and Decision Support Analysts.
What You Need to Be Successful:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or Hospital Administration required. MBA or Master’s Degree preferred. Decision supportexperience may be substituted for graduate education.
- Five (5) years progressively responsiblefinancial planning, financial systems, financial analysis, budgeting or accounting experiencerequired. Healthcare related finance background strongly preferred.
- Two (2) years supervisory/management responsibility is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Extensive Multi-Specialization working knowledge of the HPM System and how it relates to at least three of the following specialty areas: Clinical Analysis, Business Development, Budget Analysis, Strategic Financial Planning & Subsidiary Ventures, Cost Accounting, or Managed Care. Ability to teach others and act as a department resource of expertise.
2. Ability to tactfully motivate and guide all levels of staff while maintaining required degree of confidentiality and purpose. May often be called upon to address groups of various sizes, discuss/debate alternatives with other professionals and/or arbitrate differences of opinion and/or focus.
3. Ability to judge the level of confidentiality of information/activities involved in and exhibits integrity in use of dissemination of such information.
4. Expert knowledge of spreadsheets (i.e., Microsoft Excel), databases (i.e., Microsoft Access), word processing programs (i.e., Microsoft Word), graphic/specialty and other finance-related software programs. Ability to teach others and act as a department resource of expertise.
5. Highly proficient mathematical and analytical skills. Proficiency in preparing and analyzing financial data.
6. Excellent organization and problem-solving skills and team leadership skills are required to develop and implement efficient work processes, and to resolve difficult, conflict-oriented situations. Ability to work in a stressful environment.
7. Highly effective verbal and written communication skills are necessary to work with various clinical department heads, financial management and senior management staff and to supervise professional and clerical staff.
Job ID: 60766