Reporting directly to the HMH Corporate Controller, the Heinemann Director of Finance/Controller will have oversight of Heinemann’s financial results in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles in the U.S. Provide Heinemann financial information to HMH to meet external and internal reporting requirements.
A financial business partner to the EVP and General Manager of Heinemann, the Heinemann management team and Heinemann organization for operational and strategic planning, business analysis, financialreporting, cost management, capital investment and business advice.
Heinemann is a division of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt that publishes professional resources and a provider of educational services for teachers, kindergarten through college.
Heinemann Accounting Operations
- Drive the close process.
- Ensure integrity and compliance for Heinemann transactional processing which includes G/L accounting, Cost accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Credit and Collections, Royalties and Fixed Assets.
- Deliver financialreports to HMH to meet internal and external reporting requirements.
- Financial liaison between Heinemann and other HMH departments: shared service finance, treasury, legal, and internal audit.
- Maintain SOX controls and fulfill internal and external audit requirements.
- Maintain GAAP and HMH financial policy requirements.
Heinemann Reporting and Financial Planning
- Drive the Heinemann forecast and budget process to meet required HMH deliverable dates.
- Generate and communicate Heinemann financial performance.
- Develop financials and assist in the development of Business Cases as required.
- Financial liaison between Heinemann and HMH Corporate functions.
- Prepare/Coordinate preparation of Financial Operations Review decks as required.
Heinemann Decision Support
- Financial leadership and business partner to the EVP and General Manager of Heinemann, Heinemann management team, and Heinemann organization team for operational and strategic initiatives, business analysis, and business advice.
Required Education and Experience:
- BA in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years’ experience in finance and accounting
Preferred Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Previous experience as a Controller strongly preferred.
- At least 5 years’ experience in a leadership role preferred.
- Strong technical and analytical skills with an ability to think independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, interpersonal and presentation skills to interact with various levels of management.
- Previous experience managing teams.
- Ability to articulate company performance to HMH and Heinemann management, and explain HMH accounting policy to Heinemann management.
- Collaborate effectively with other HMH organizations/departments.
- Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
- The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Job Requisition ID: 8441