SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for the Director of Facilities for The Apex Center in Wytheville, VA. Under the supervision of the Regional Vice-President, this position will manage the day to day operations of the Equestrian Park and Event Center to include main arenas/outdoor arenas, livestock stables and all surrounding areas. This position normally supervises operations, semi-skilled manager, renovations supervisor, unskilled/seasonal staff members and volunteers. The Apex Center operates on a seven day per week schedule, including weekends and holidays.
***Must have Equestrian Facility Management experience to be considered for this role.***
Essential Duties and Responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned.
- Dedicated to providing knowledgeable and professional horsemanship in all aspects of business at the facility
- Must be a visible and constant leader at the Center that is operationally minded
- Oversees and works with the Operations Supervisor to service clients throughout the entire event process/lifecycle
- Implements a marketing/promotional outreach strategy designed to promote equestrian services and the securing of equestrian events.
- Willingness to entertain and book other types of events outside of the equestrian portfolio in order to meet annual budgetary requirements
- Assist the Accounting Manager in the preparation and tracking of budget for the Apex Center
- Works with the Operations Manager to coordinate schedules for the care and maintenance of horses, stalls, indoor/outdoor arenas, surrounding buildings/grounds and equestrian programs
- Adheres to all SMG policies and procedures
- Develops annual Strategic Plan for review by the Regional Vice President
- Interacts with other SMG equestrian facilities to continue to enhance and support the national network
- Attends appropriate planning, organizational, otherevents, and facility meetings in support of equestrian park and event center operations
- Acts as the key facility operational liaison for event promoters, clients and tenants assisting them with planning and organizing events; guides clients in preparation of events by interpreting and explaining contract provisions, policies and procedures.
- Responsible for identifying new and expanding existing programming opportunities; plans and implements a marketing/promotional outreach strategy designed to promote equestrian services
- Maintain a continuous program to pursue new business and optimize use of facility.
- Develop pricing strategy and budgets for event center components
- Review/initiate vendor service agreements annually to support smooth running of the facility and protect the life of venue assets
- Keeps clients informed as to status of deadlineschedules, including but not limited to event plan submissions, set-up specifications, insurance requirements and other relevant details.
- Monitors in-house events, maintaining close contact with clients and facility staff to ensure successful events. Follows-up on all client requests, concerns and problems.
- Supervises/evaluates the work of staff, effectively recommends personnel actions related to the selection, performance review, scheduling and discipline; administers personnel and related policies and procedures in accordance with SMG HR policies
- Establishes policies/procedures for equestrian/livestock operations; leads the development of long range plans and goals for facility, offers suggestions to Client directed at maximizing the efficiency/effectiveness of the operations; assists in developing/securing funding sources. Utilizes cost benefit analysis to evaluate programs and operations
- Provides managerial oversight of the volunteer program; identifies community resources and serves as liaison with Client and local equestrian organizations.
- Ensures that staff is trained in existing work methods, policies and procedures to ensure conformance with accepted standards. Oversees staff development.
- Responsible for the development and management of the operating budget, the maintenance of accurate accounting records for revenues and billings.
- Schedules and maintains the booking calendar
- Attends appropriate planning, organization and otherevent and facility meetings in support of facility operations.
- Works flexible and extended hours, including nights, weekends and holidays
- All other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Degree from an accredited four-year college or university and/or 5 or more years of progressive management experience, preferably in an equestrian setting.
- Experience leading a staff of 3 or more full time employees
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects, meet deadlines, work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedules
- Must have a professional attitude and appearance
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide feedback and input in the creation and maintenance of the annual budget for the facility
- Can demonstrate an understanding of equestrian operations as it relates to the health and safety of competitors, spectators, attendees and animals visiting the facility
- Be familiar with all local, state, and federal regulations regarding stable operations and livestock events
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others
- Knowledge in facility and event management related services, including technical requirements of equestrian events, fairs, rodeos, sporting and otherevents
- Keen knowledge of equestrian footing preparation and management
- Excellent leadership skills
- Excellent verbal, written, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Effectively enforce policies, protect the animals on site.
- Knowledge of the principal/practices of event management related to an Multipurpose Venue
- Preference for understanding of agricultural/livestock events
- Develop a team that can support and grow events based on a standard of excellence based on SMG Policies and procedures.
- Ensuring and following safety measures and regulations
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications with ability to learn additional programs as utilized by management
- Ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments for extended periods of time based on events
- Must be able to work in inclement weather conditions such as heat, cold, rain, snow, wet/muddy areas, etc.
- Frequent exposure to adverse noise levels, from moderate to loud, along with animal hair and dander
- Knowledge in facility capabilities and event related services, including technical requirements of equestrian events, fairs, rodeos, truck and tractor pulls, sporting and otherevents.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications required.
- Excellent verbal, written, problem solving and interpersonal skills required.
- High aptitude for figures.
- Excellent work history and attendance record. Possess and maintain a valid driver's license, must have and maintain excellent driving record.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.