Full Time - Regular
Do you aim high? Are you genuinely helpful? Are you looking for a place where you can make a difference, receive ongoing support and training, and build a rewarding, long-lasting career? Then you may be a good fit for FirstService Residential, North America's foremost property management firm. We're all about our associates, and as we continue to grow, we're looking for even more quality people who share our dedication to doing what's right, improving residents' quality of life, building great relationships and truly making a difference for their clients, their colleagues and themselves. Is that you? If so, we think you should get to know us.
Who We Are: FirstService Residential is the largest manager of residential communities in North America, overseeing more than 5,600 properties and over 1.3 million residential units. FirstService generates more than $2.3 billion in annual revenue and has more than 23,000 employees worldwide. More information is available at www.firstserviceresidential.com.
FirstService Residential is currently seeking an experienced Facilities Director for a luxury Coop building in the West New York, NJ Area
The corporation is a unique, all-inclusive community of 500 +/- apartment units in a high-rise tower. Numerous building amenities and common areas including 24-hour concierge, doormen, package room, gym, community room, parking garages, swimming pool, garden plaza, etc. And this is anr an excellent opportunity with comprehensive a salary and benefits package.
Primary Responsibilities: Provide the highest level of customer service and support for all aspects of property maintenance and operations. Manage all aspects of in-house staff, outside service providers, and be responsible for all building operations, maintenance, repairs/restoration, housekeeping and resident services. Must be able to oversee other building professionals, construction service providers, all aspects of MEP, structural, HVAC, elevators, and other building operational components.
- Responsible for efficient operation and physical condition of the building complex. Ensures that buildings, systems, equipment and grounds are properly maintained and in compliance with codes, industry standards and best practices for facility operations and maintenance. Ensures that proper safety precautions are taken for personnel, residents, guests, property and equipment according to Association policies and procedures at all times.
- Helps in the preparation of annual operating budgets and monitors and controls expenses of the Maintenance Department.
- Conducts regular inspections of the entire property; determines physical condition and takes appropriate action to ensure safe and proper operation at all times. Assesses the age, condition, and useful life of building systems and equipment to determine repair needs and capital requests. Issues reports outlining items inspected, accomplished and in need of completion.
- Develops and executes plans, systems and procedures for all building maintenance and improvements. Implements daily, weekly, monthly quarterly and annual checklists and calendars documenting required maintenance of all aspects of physical systems and infrastructure of the complex and grounds.
- Initiates, organizes and supervises all building operations and makes improvement recommendations as appropriate. Evaluates and assists residents in regard to Work Orders and building projects.
- Ensures all outside repairs and alterations have been approved by the Community Manager. Provides close monitoring of all approved work.
- Inspects the work of all individuals being supervised to assure that all efforts meet the corporations and trade standards. Ensures that all employees and trades workers conducts themselves according to corporation policies.
- Ensures and verifies that all required work permits and authorizations are in place for any in-house and contracted work prior to the commencement of work. Serves as the primary interface between Corporation and Municipal Building Departments and State and Local officials.
- Develops and advertises specifications for any contracted services. Receives and reviews proposals in accordance with the established bidding procedures. Work with the appropriate professionals to assist in preparation of technical specifications and contracts consistent with budget constraints and directives. Participates in contract review, inspection and administration. Coordinates with Board of Directors, Community Manager, Management Staff, Consultants and Legal Counsel as needed.
- Oversees the ordering, purchasing, inventory controls and supply levels. Keeps a highly organized maintenance shop and all other storage areas and employee and resident areas. Prepares and submits budget recommendations; continually evaluates all phases of building operations to enhance operating efficiency and maximize cost effectiveness.
- Responsible to document all physical elements, systems and equipment of the complex. Reviews same on a regular basis to serve as a training tool for existing and new maintenance staff.
- Responsible to supervise, develop and train staff. Conduct weekly supervisor meetings to resolve any issues and coordinate departmental communications.
- Maintains accessibility to all residents and community staff through high visibility and excellent communications.
- Be available to respond to emergencies at the property as necessary including weekends, holidays, etc. Weekend inspections may be necessary and evening meetings and other events as required.
- Brief the Community Manager daily and provide Action Plans on the status of projects, staff effectiveness and ongoing operations.
- Manages subordinates and supervises all building maintenance, housekeeping, porter, concierge desk and tenant services. Effective control and utilization of manpower, materials and equipment allocated to them for a specific task.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the Maintenance Department, Porter Staff and Concierge Desk Staff/Package Room Staff. Reviews, plans, and coordinates all job assignments, job descriptions, sets work priorities, makes cost-effective assignment decisions and ensures the completion of projects in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
- Responsible for interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints, and resolving issues.
- Maintains safe practices and procedures; assures compliance with appropriate safety practices and procedures; drives the maintenance safety program and provides safety training for all staff.
- Bachelor's degree in applicable field or a combination of education and relevant experience in Facilities Management capacity. 5 -- 10 years' experience in facilities maintenance and operations management in a supervisory capacity. Clear strengths in MEP, HVAC, traction elevators, fire alarms, suppression systems, pumps, valves, motors, switches, timers and controls, etc.
- Strong technology knowledge (i.e. spreadsheets, RFP proposals, etc.).
- NJ Black Seal Boiler Operator License or ability to obtain one.
- Administrative experience, organizational ability, supervisory skills, strong communication ability and proficient in report writing.
- Capable of interpreting codes, regulations, standards and governing documents of the Association.
- Computer and electronic mail literacy is required to include: Word, Excel, and ability to quickly learn other technology platforms (i.e. database, time clock, etc.).
- Consistent, dependable and accurate in carrying out responsibilities to a successful completion.
- Professional appearance and an aptitude for public relations towards staff, residents, officials, vendors, etc.
- Prior experience in high-rise facility management, community management or governance is desired. LEED accreditation is a plus.