Welcome to Curvature's Job Site
Job Description Summary
The Director for External Storage will oversee Senior Support Engineers as development is crucial to our maintenance service offerings and to the success of the multi-platform service operations company wide. The Director and his/her staff are the “upper crust” of hardware/software fieldengineering staff within all platforms globally and have shown a highdegree of success with timely, and accurate, problem resolution. Without targeted experts driving calls to resolution, curvature service MTTR will increase and customer satisfaction rate would undoubtedly decrease resulting in missed SLAS and lost revenue. This manager and his/her staff will be called upon to provide leadership and direction with regard to companyinvestment in OEM hardware, software, training and expertstaffing.
The Director for External Storage will oversee Senior Support Engineers as development is crucial to our maintenance service offerings and to the success of the multi-platform service operations company wide. The Director and his/her staff are the “upper crust” of hardware/software field engineering staff within all platforms globally and have shown a high degree of success with timely, and accurate, problem resolution. Without targeted experts driving calls to resolution, curvature service MTTR will increase and customer satisfaction rate would undoubtedly decrease resulting in missed SLAS and lost revenue. This manager and his/her staff will be called upon to provide leadership and direction with regard to company investment in OEM hardware, software, training and expert staffing.
The Director of External Storage serves as a focused member of the Technical Support organization, responsible for several very important functions within the support group:
- Research, develop, implement and support of HP, Hitachi, NetApp, Equallogic, Quantum and other hardware and software service for new product support rollout. Service development will primarily be focused on new roll out of supported maintenance products and supportability while managing the External Storage Support staff in their effort to provide training and direction.
- Engaged directly on projects (hands on) as needed to provide direction to high level Support specialists within the CE organization to effectively deliver support documentation, white papers, and technical service documentation to curvature field service staff.
- Provide High level Sales support to Enterprise Sales and management with high priority customer sales engagements.
- Provide high level of expertise for support of global field service staff on Hitachi VSP, USP, 99xx, AMS (modular storage) and rebranded systems (HP XP, Sun 99xx). 3PAR, Netapp, Equallogic/Quantum and other external tape support.
- Research/develop and provide training for hardware/software maintenance, product support, remote notification setup, and lab build out on the above Hitachi products.
Desired applicant will have attended some college, technical school or equivalent with 15+ years of OEM hardware service delivery and the ability to work in matrix environment.
The breadth and background of this role are part of the keys to success. The Director of External Storage is required to support the field organization within curvature in the following manner:
- A curvature Director provides additional levels of technical expertise and experience to supplement local field staff’s technical ability as they perform their duties in the field and in the office.
- Oversee the SSE’s as they work on daily escalations from the field and have the ability to multitask on multiple escalations when needed.
- Engage in Product Development R&D as a regional expert of new equipment for maintainability to insure that our field and support staff can obtain the resources required, and necessary, to maintain the equipment under contract i.e. manuals, training, parts, equipment etc.
- Assists remote offices in the ramp up of large customer sparing preparations as well as assisting in the evaluation, and installation of spare hardware after the acquisition of new hardware maintenance contracts.
- Perform FRU analytics
- Strategic Account support
- Investigates curvature’s ability to deliver “Call Home”, remote notification, or remote monitoring.
- Investigate innovative methods to enhance service delivery
- Engage in critical situations, escalation management, and post mortem lessons learned.
- Reviews sales proposals for potential issues i.e. firmware levels, patch issues, additional hardware requirements and compatibility issues.
- Interfaces with customers in sales related activities, conference calls, technical assessment meetings, and provide support for sales meetings during contract negotiations etc.
- Attends follow up sales meetings on service performance reviews.
- Works with Logistics and Procurement to assist in the acquisition of parts for sparing, associated parts definition, and researching compatibility of parts, as well as assessing probability of failure.
- Assesses feasibility of client requests, client Q&A, and overcome objections
- Oversee and coordinate internal training classes to the greater curvature engineering community. These classes are designed to reduce training costs company wide, and facilitate successful service at the regional level.
- Evaluates OEM and third party training classes for content and value; as well as provide recommendations to regional service management on minimum training requirements necessary to provide service on specific OEM platforms.
- Develops tools, and content, within corporate intranet to automate technical tip submission and possible archiving of previously submitted technical tips.
- A background in Engineering, Service and Support is a requirement; however experience in direct field service is not required, but preferred.
- Interface directly with client stake holder’s high-level crisis escalation Management teams.
- In depth background in break/fix hardware service experience on Enterprise class Servers and storage devices.
- Highly qualified in the Mission Critical enterprise data center environment and peripherals to provide Tier 3 support. Must have direct in-depth knowledge of OEM diagnostics, tools and utilities to facilitate remedial service and assist Field Service in meeting contractual client SLA.
· High level of expertise in Hitachi, NetApp, 3PAR, Equallogic, and Quantum enterprise class hardware and peripherals with proven technical background.
· Experience with the management of Maintenance Services business.
Must be able to manage his/her team, the client and field engineering, exhibiting excellent communication skills as well as securing client confidence in curvature to maintain their equipment; demonstrates expertise without arrogance; client-focused, client-driven, patient, ability to mentor others; proven ability to work as a team and effectively juggle multiple tasks at once.
Working Conditions or Additional requirements:
The Director of External Storage is required to be in a 7x24x365 call rotation and able to travel to and from client sites internationally as required.