NYPR is seeking a hands-on Director of Expense Management to manage the daily balance sheet and expense activities of the Finance Department and to prepare monthly financial analyses of operations. The Director of Expense Management is jointly responsible for managing the company's financial policies and procedures, its accounting practices and the maintenance of its fiscal records. The position is jointly responsible for ensuring organizational compliance with general accounting controls and generally accepted accounting principles. The director will provide both strategic, innovative leadership and oversee operational management for the Finance Department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee the general accounting function, which includes expense management and reporting, intercompany accounting, cash management/reconciliation, balance sheet management (excluding accounts receivable and related allowance accounts)
- Responsible for developing solutions through advanced modelling and analytical techniques
- Ability to provide actionable insights for data driven decisions.
- Manage accounting functions relating to Accounts Payable, Payroll, Treasury, and General Ledger
- Responsible for the bi-weekly review, approval and roll-up for employee travel and entertainment expenditure via Concur system
- Prepare journal entries and maintain general ledger
- Responsible for month-end closing including posting of accruals and adjusting entries, preparation of balance sheet schedules, and preparation of monthly close work papers
- Analyze and reconcile accounts
- Maintain capital assets and depreciation schedules
- Conduct monthly expense variation analysis and report findings to senior management
- Manage and develop personnel in the finance department
- Responsible for quarterly 941 payroll reconciliation, salary recapture calculation, gift annuity and trade entries and reconciliations
- Provide analysis and assistance in budget and forecast preparation
- Perform treasury management and monitoring activities including preparation of cash transfers
- Responsible for the expense portion of all internal and external auditors
- Establish and monitor effective financial and internal controls for the organization
- Responsible for quality control while ensuring we have proper documentation and review processes in place.
- Build and manage the team by providing direction and assistance to ensure group has knowledge and technical experience to be able to execute.
- Partner with business customers as a key point of contact and to identify issues and improve efficient processes
- BS Degree in Accounting required
- CPA certification preferred
- 7-10 years of experience in financial management required
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written required
- Experience developing sophisticated, data-driven financial model and analytics to support station planning and expense forecast process
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds.
- Self-directed with the ability to collaborate with various stakeholders and teams and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines with the ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Previous accounting Manager/Controller or related experience required
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills required
- Advanced Excel Skills a must
- Demonstrable skills in taking initiative and being proactive to identify issues
- Skilled in thinking outside the box, planning and managing various aspects of business operations with a continuous process improvement mindset
- Entrepreneurial with a keen analytic mind who can thrive in a fast-paced environment.