Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures successful event coordination activities by supervising and training Event Mangers and monitoring events. Plans, organizes and assigns all day-to-day work assignments for event managers.
- Serves as primary liaison between clients and facility departments. Follows up on all client requests, concerns and problems.
- Establishes new standards of customer service by working with all Evert Services employees.
- Builds positive relationships with other departments to work toward common goal of providing the best customer service to our clients.
- Researches, reviews and recommends equipment, materials and supplies required in providing event services and planning.
- Prepares Event Services departmental and estimated revenues.
- Maintains effective and professional communication with clients and staff.
- Works extended/irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed. Maintain communication and check in with Event Managers, providing support as needed for large events.
- Serve as event manager for specific events as needed. Director of Event Services should maintain a fair share of events and handle larger high profile events, using these as training opportunities for Event Managers.
- Prepares schedules and assigns events to the Event Managers with smooth flow of events to each individual.
- Meets with potential clients, advises them on the facility requirements, and negotiates sales of additional services. Train event managers on proper upselling techniques and track results.
- Works with internal service partners to provide quality service to customers.
- Serves as liaison for all facility clients to ensure highest level of customer service for all external service providers.
- Represents the facility at tradeshows, community events, and industry meetings.
- Prepares annual budget for department.
- Prepares reports of monthly event activities for submission to the General Manager and Board of Directors.
- Develops policies and procedures for the Event Services Department and monitors their compliance by holding staff accountable.
- Establishes new standards of customer service by working with cooperatively with other departments in the facility.
Directly supervises Event Managers and/or Event Coordinator in the Event Services Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- B.S. in Hotel Management or related field
- 3-5 years Event Management experience in Convention Center or related venue
- 1-3 years supervisory experience desired
- Customer service experience is required
- Food and Beverage knowledge is desirable
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrate knowledge in industry terminology, facility capabilities, operational procedures, event coordination and event-related services.
- Demonstrate the principles and techniques of supervision, training, budgeting and other administrative duties.
- Handle conflict, make common sense decisions and exercise proper action during high tension and stressful situations.
- Know Basic accounting
- Handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Operate portable radio and standard office equipment including copier and fax machine.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with other in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines with special attention to detail.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Work independently, exercising judgment and initiative.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Effective communication, interpersonal and organizational skills required.