Position Description Summary:
The Director of Estimating leads the estimating group in the timely preparation of accurate, competitive bids by utilizing the appropriate estimating principles and latest data from project management and vendors. The Chief Estimator oversee the estimating group and performs resource management, personnel training and updates estimating standards for the group including databases and spreadsheets.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities:
- Leadership role for the execution of accurate, timely estimates for projects at all levels of difficulty. Organization and deployment of estimating resources skilled in the specific needs of the estimate. Flag potential problem areas on a job.
- Hire, train, and mentor new estimators to build a full service estimating department. Continuously build knowledge and skills and shares expertise with others.
- Transparent scheduling of estimating resources and the communication and integration of those resources with other company offices.
- Development of ?redline? or schematic level pricing based on limited design information.
- Integration with design to provide real time cost data which assists in the development of the design.
- Gather all estimate data from trade takeoffs, schematic pricing efforts, vendor and subcontractor quotes, and other pricing methodologies. Organize and input data into designated estimate format. QC estimate to assure all factors are applied accurately.
- Maintain, interpret, and utilize historical data to provide more accurate estimates for systems, building types, etc.
- Generate reports and interpret them for estimate and proposal review/wrap. Generate equipment sheets and general labor analysis.
- Present estimates and explain job completely and clearly to Project Executives and Project Managers.
- As a member of the preconstruction team, support all areas of the estimate or schematic pricing including presentation and review with customers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have the skills to collect and research data and has the ability to use intuition and experience to complement data and to design work flows and procedures.
- Ability to translate concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles.
- Must have attention to detail and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness in their work.
- Must have strong working knowledge of Quickpen , Microsoft Excel, and Bluebeam. Experience in other standard computer software such as Microsoft Word and web browsers.
- Experience with FTP and other file sharing sites.
- Problem Solving Skills: Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Able to gather and analyze information skillfully to develop alternative solutions. Resourceful and displays original thinking and creativity.
- Customer Service Skills: Responds promptly to customer needs and meets commitments. Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
- Strong Written and Verbal Communication Skills: Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in both positive and negative situations. Ability to listen and get clarification.
- Interpersonal Skills: Ability to approach others in a tactful manner and respond well under pressure. Maintains professionalism by treating others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Able to accept responsibility for own actions.
- Organizational Skills: Must be able to prioritize and plan work activities which include planning for additional resources. Must be able to coordinate projects, communicate changes and progress, and complete projects on time and budget.
- Leadership Skills: Ability to manage other people and their tasks. Ability to develop realistic action plans. Ability to find ways to improve and promote quality and can apply feedback to improve performance. Meets productivity standards and strives to increase productivity.
- Decision-making Skills: Ability to make timely decisions; provide support and explain the reasoning for decisions made. Must exhibit sound and accurate judgment. Must be capable of working with the appropriate people in decision-making process.
- Understands business implications of decisions: Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals. Works within approved budget; Contributes to profits and revenue; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Conserves organizational resources. Must have the desire to learn estimating strategies and techniques and how they would support corporate objectives.
Holds a degree from a four-year college, trade school or equivalent combination of technical training and/or related experience. 7-10 years past experience in similar Mechanical construction estimating and/or related functions.