Description: Manages the 24 hour/7 days a week environmental services operations of a Medical Center(s) and attached and/or detached Medical Office Building(s). Develops and implements efficient/productive cleaning methods, supervises environmental services and grounds keeping staff (as applicable), manages administration of training programs, customer relations, and budget administration. Ensures compliance with standards and regulations.
- Manages the daily operations of the department.
- Regulates daily activities of staff, providing necessary guidance and support to maintain quality performance standards.
- Monitors operational programs, assuring that buildings are maintained in a safe, clean, and operationally effective condition.
- Supervises environmental services and grounds keeping employees (as applicable) to ensure that work techniques, quality assurance standards, department policies and procedures and job specifications are adhered to.
- Interviews and selects environmental services personnel and oversees staff training and development as outlined by environmental services policies and procedures.
- Administers annual competency assessment process.
- Develops, initiates, and maintains environmental services departmental policies/procedures relative to OSHA, DHS, TJC, NFPA, OSHPD, and other governing agency regulations and standards.
- Documents staff training to ensure full program compliance.
- Communicates and coordinates department activities with those of other departments by attending and participating in medical center, Local Market and regional committees such as peer groups, safety, disaster, infection control, interior design and recycling committees.
- Evaluates new products while adhering to National Purchasing Organization guidelines and national Facility services standards.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of latest environmental trends, products and regulatory requirements necessary to deliver efficient and effective environmental services.
- Develop and recommend departmental operating budget and ensure the department operates within the budget.
- Identifies opportunities to decrease costs and increase service levels.
- Identifies and implements best practices to generate new and innovative ideas to improve service and reduce costs.
- Assume other duties and responsibilities as assigned/directed.
- Minimum five (5) years of supervisory background required, specific to healthcare applications.
- High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
- Bachelor's Degree in management - - OR - - four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
License, Certification, Registration
- Proficient in the use of Windows based office software including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to communicate effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Functional knowledge of infection control techniques, sanitation protocols, and cleaning methods required.
- Supervisory experience in a union environment preferred.
- Experience in a Labor/Management Partnership environment preferred.
- Two (2) years relevant experience managing in an environmental services/housekeeping department.
- Association for the Healthcare Environment (AHE) or International Executive Housekeepers Association (IEHA) Certification preferred.
- Certified Healthcare Environmental Services Professional (CHESP) preferred.
- Knowledge of medical and hazardous waste regulations, health facilities and their unique cleaning requirements preferred.
- Knowledge of hospital infection control, sanitation protocols and cleaning methods preferred.
- Master's Degree preferred.