This position leads and manages the global Environmental Health & Safety function for a business unit. The position develops and implements strategy, policy, processes, systems and tactics to deliver world class EH&S performance, in pursuit of injury free lives for all our employees at work and outside of work. In collaboration with the corporate environmental, safety and medical directors, and EH&S business unit director peers, this position assures contemporary EH&S-professional functional excellence through employee selection and development, global succession management, and leadership within the EH&S Leadership Council.
Relocation provided for qualified candidate
Reports to: Business Unit Operations Leader with a dotted line to the Chief Sustainability Officer
Span of Control: Accountability for all global manufacturing and S&T sites within specified business unit.
1. EH&S Strategy Development
· Drives strategy development for the successful implementation and execution of the EH&S pillar of Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) across specified business unit.
· Analyzes business strengths and weaknesses, candidly and powerfully communicates to drive action, and leverages continuous improvement tools to improve performance.
· Leverages a combination of leading/lagging metrics and innovation test and learns to identify opportunities and drive material improvement (modeling ideation/evaluation/action and connection).
· Hungrily advances company learning, critical thinking, big-data analytics/insight, innovation/research and development, external knowledge/networking and leading-edge problem-solving methods to identify, address and eliminate persistent injury types
1. Executing EH&S Strategy and Directing Operations
· Establishes & maintains a management system with effective metrics and ongoing assessment to ensure progress and success with a bias toward hands-on operational engagement within business unit.
· Demonstrates visual and influential leadership at all levels of operations and takes the initiative to fill identified leadership gaps.
· Partners with business leaders to continuously improve the behaviors, awareness and accountability systems to meet business objectives.
· Lead the business unit's EH&S team to ensure the strategic development of effective EH&S programs to eliminate injuries and environmental non-conformities while advancing our sustainability goals; effectively delegates while staying closely connected to execution of programs. These programs will comply with local legislative and administrative requirements while leveraging current best practices.
· Collaborate with and connects EH&S and Operations Leaders together to ensure corporate resources are advancing EH&S results and all policies are effective and comply with local regulatory requirements and company policies.
· Benchmark with external leaders to bring the best thinking around EH&S.
· Set clear and measurable expectations of EH&S performance; Establish, communicate and review commitments on a regular basis to ensure milestones are achieved; demonstrates resilience and commitment to overcome obstacles to deliver on commitments
· Establish and maintain a clear vision and expectations regarding EH&S for our employees, contractors and any visitors in our work locations.
1. Health and Wellness Strategy and Execution
· Collaborates with the Enterprise Director, Medical Health and Wellness to communicate the company's global vision regarding health and wellness within the business unit.
· Consults with the Enterprise Director, Medical Health and Wellness in the context of the EH&S Leadership Council, on the establishment of direct business unit health and wellness goals and metrics both short and long-term. Advises on challenges and opportunities within the business unit to allow for the implementation of the most impactful goals and metrics and solutions to achieve them.
· Collaborates with the Corporate Health Services organization to establish and execute on the strategic plan to accomplish the short and long-term goals of the Healthy Living (wellness) program within the business unit. Acts as a liaison to business unit regional directors and facility leaders globally, advocating on behalf of the company's health and wellness strategic plan and deployment.
· Works with the Enterprise Director, Medical Health and Wellness to understand potential employee health risks related to any biological, chemical or physical hazards, and cooperates in the communication, surveillance administration and mitigation of those risks by leveraging relationships with regional EH&S leaders and local EH&S and facility leaders within the business unit.
· Jointly and periodically reviews talent acquisition needs with the Enterprise Director, Medical, Health and Wellness regarding health personnel within the business unit, and advocates to senior leadership on behalf of these needs.
1. Talent Management and Development
· In collaboration with the corporate environmental, safety and medical directors, and EH&S business director peers, this position assures contemporary EH&S-professional functional excellence through employee selection and development and global succession management for EH&S.
· Designs and manages the EH&S organization creating accountability and development opportunities.
· Establishes accountability processes for ensuring alignment with operations leadership in talent management, expectation setting and performance management of EH&S talent.
· Creates an inclusive environment where talent is developed through ongoing performance management and talent assessment.
· Effectively uses a mix of internal and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession to meet the business need; maintains an external "Brand" that attracts both seasoned and emerging EH&S talent.
· Invests in growth and development of direct reports and other identified talent in their organization.
· Builds a work environment that nurtures and facilitates open communication, employee engagement and diversity.
· Undergraduate degreerequired (EH&S or science/engineering); advanced degreepreferred.
· Minimum of 10+ years of experience in leading EH&S (or EH&S) function with progressive career advancement including on-site operational and functional assignments; TPM experience highly desired.
· External EH&S publications and professional recognitions.
· Success in leading large, matrix organizations across geographically diverse areas.
· Experience working in a mature TPM or similar disciplined systems-environment.
· Experience working with external parties including suppliers and regulatory authorities strongly preferred.
· Advanced education or professional certification/training in EH&S field
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
· Demonstrated ability to iterate with agility across ideation, evaluation and action while effectively leveraging cross-functional team connection to get meaningful work done with speed.
· Ability to shift and adapt behavior based on audience.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to lead and drive change across teams, functions, businesses.
· Building, leading and inspiring teams.
· Ability to translate complex technical needs/requirements into clear actions for execution.
· Strong organization skills, manages competing priorities and keeps stakeholders well-informed.
· Comfortable with ambiguity and is able to influence without authority.