Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Responsibilities
- Maintain responsibility for the entitlement process, including the hiring and coordination of legal counsel or consultants and, the acquisition of city or county approval, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate public hearings, including variances, amendments, etc.
- Attend meetings with city staff and the development team, as well as public hearings or neighbor meetings
- Be highly conversant with local planning processes (specific to Southern California) in general and particularly the relevant General, Specific and Precise Plans.
- Establish controls that track detailed requirements for various entitlement related approvals.
- Contribute to the review of development strategy and project scheduling for the project
- Oversee the implementation of a forward-looking and highly effective government and industry engagement strategy to influence and improve policy and to ensure positive reputation and project outcomes for Rexford Industrial
- Provide strategic insights and counsel to senior internal stakeholders concerning issues of key significance to Rexford Industrial emanating from government policy with important project impacts
- Collaborate with and participate in effective dialogue with relevant external stakeholders on industry-wide concerns, including key industry associations and regulators and other key real estate development and construction institutions to plan and achieve positive public policy outcomes
- Establish appropriate feedback mechanisms to ensure continuous improvement of government and industry relations activities
Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Desired Capabilities
- Show a strong understanding of planning and regulatory approval processes and issues and demonstrate a proven ability to work with regulatory bodies to achieve project objectives
- Proven ability to manage complex public policy and negotiate the right outcomes with the relevant regulatory or government agency
- Significant public affairs, public policy, or government relations experience at a senior level, with experience in the real estate industrial development sector
- Demonstrable experience of planning and executing external engagement strategies and influencing change.
- Ability to analyze all relevant information & identify innovative and effective solutions to problems
- Ability to consider the key business drivers of the project & the organization, in decision-making, understanding the implications of decisions and actions
- Strong relationship building skills and the ability to effectively influence and motivate others as well as strong negotiation skills
- Disciplined in planning and monitoring
- Comfortable working in a fast-changing environment
- Pragmatic - a ”finisher” with an eye for detail and the ability to drive through solutions to problems and not just operate at the macro level
- Able to simultaneously input into the overall entitlements strategy while also executing it
Director of Entitlements (Industrial Development) Minimum Requirements
- Relevant bachelor’s degree in business or property with post graduate qualifications desirable.
- 15 years of broad real estate management experience including planning/entitlements, development management, project management, new business, and construction/delivery, specifically in the Industrial development sector in Southern California.
- Robust local network (Southern California)
- Experience with LEED certified industrial projects
- Experience with the development of major industrial facilities (CEQA, agency approvals, coordination with City and County agencies).
- Experience with community engagement processes and strong communication skills, both oral and written.