Woodruff Arts Center employees play an integral role in creating and supporting great art and education initiatives at the nation’s third largest arts center. Comprised of three Art Partners—Alliance Theatre, Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and High Museum of Art—there’s a role for everyone at The Woodruff.
United States of America (Exempt)
Scope of Services
This position is responsible for 5 buildings on campus, and an art storage facility and scene production shop, both located close to campus, and will have direct responsibility for the following areas of focus:
• Central Plant
• HVAC and Humidifiers
• Electrical Systems
• Generator Fuel
• Plumbing Systems
• Building Envelope
• Fire and Safety Systems and Equipment
• Elevator Systems
• Loading Dock
Additionally, this position will work in close collaboration with Director of Facilities as part of a campus-wide Facilities & Engineering Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Plans and schedules repair, maintenance, and installations of equipment to ensure continuous operation of facilities and meet all departmental performance metrics through work order and asset management software system.
- Works with key institutional leadership to set and implement metrics system for performance management and evaluation including a Service Level Agreement for engineering.
- Negotiates with vendors and contractors to purchase relevant goods and services at the greatest value to the institution. Verifies adherence to procedures and specifications. Reinforces excellent contractor relations through clear communication and timely processing of relevant paperwork.
- Works with appropriate resources to fully implement and continuously improve work order management system and uses work order management system to analyze departmental activities and make recommendations.
- Inspects completed work for conformance to specifications, and standards.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems or assists other department members in solving work problems.
- Maintains a safe working environment by requiring adherence to safety protocols by the engineering team and contractors.
- Directs the organization and management of as-built documentation, O&M manuals, and warranties for reference in ongoing facility projects.
Manages approximately 5 employees in the Engineering department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Technical Skills - A working knowledge of electrical, plumbing and HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) systems. Ability to read and understand construction documents and specifications. Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills, and shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service – Models and promotes a culture of service. Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Communication - Able to clearly articulate instructions, procedures, and other information verbally and in writing as required.
- Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Values Diversity – Appreciates the value of working with people of varying demographics, backgrounds, and experiences.
- Managing People - Makes self-available to staff; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, products, and services.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Conserves organizational resources.
- Motivation - Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles and measures self against standard of excellence.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university, with 8 years’ experience; or Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school and 10 years’ experience in facilities maintenance and systems engineering; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience required. Practical experience in major buildings services, including electrical, mechanical, structural, plumbing.
- Experience implementing work process systems using current software and web-tools required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient with work order management and preventive maintenance software and Microsoft Office Suite software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Georgia Driver’s License required
Other Skills and Abilities
Must have a demonstrated track record in change management, and a good balance of people, customer, and technical skills.