Director of Engineering
The Director of Engineering has overall day to day oversight and responsibility for New Product Development execution and Morey-designed product sustaining engineeringsupport. Responsibility encompasses management of R&D, finalization of product specifications, execution and implementation of all product design services and support, and support of quoting activities.
This role will lead the entire engineering team (including Mechanical, Embedded Hardware, Embedded Software, and Electrical) using strong interaction, interpersonal, mentoring and negotiating skills, and will be responsible for managing project risks/issues and elevating to upper management when appropriate. In addition, the Director of Engineering will be responsible for adhering to, supporting and enhancing Morey Corporation?s process methodologies while developing and managing commitments to meet project financial and schedule deliverables and quality requirements.
The Design Engineering team utilizes a combination of Morey Engineering Staff and our Global Engineering Partners to meet product development goals. Design Engineering has direct responsibility for interfacing with Customers throughout the product development process to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Assist Vice President with defining, and then take ownership in executing, a robust and rigorous product development process that has measurable performance metrics.
- Assist Vice President with competitive product teardowns and analysis to stay current with understanding industry technology and trends and help define and drive future products and technology roadmaps.
- Provide day-to-day direction, strategy, and prioritization to the engineering team.
- Provide day-to-day interface between Design Engineering and Production.
- Ensure team is trained and follows system/process for engineering best practices for product development and sustaining engineering.
- Provide interface between Morey and our customers during product development and ongoing support.
- Provide performance feedback and review to team members.
- Manage all ECO?s, CCR?s and requests for information, ensuring comprehension to cost, quality, and schedule prior to taking action and communicate summary to Vice President.
- Manage activities, resources, and schedule for all quoting requests into the department.
- Ensure hiring procedure maintains a consistent high-quality growth to the team.
Required Qualifications (Minimum Basic Qualifications)
- BS Engineering
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in electronics product development.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of engineering management experience.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with the design of products integrating control, communication, GPS, and RF.
- Capable of taking a customer request and turning it into a designable solution that can be delivered.
- Track record of managing development projects, combining both innovation and tactical management.
Desired Attributes (Things that will put you ahead)
- Engineering Services Background (Highly Desired)
- BS in Software Engineering OR BSEE with a exposure to embedded software. (Highly Desired)
- Managing outsourced development projects, ODMs and/or projects mixing internal and outsourced engineering resources.
- Work with outside certification and test labs.
- Familiarity with hardware and software quality assurance processes.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to challenge the status quo
- Strong experience in product innovation and development methodologies and tools
- Proven experience with innovation and new technology evaluation and adaptation with the ability to get ?buy-in? from the team.
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience working through complex technical issues with customers and suppliers.
- Possess strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of electronic and mechanical assembly skills and knowledge of recognized industry standards.
- Ability to facilitate, manage and drive team efforts to resolution.
- Proactive approach to all departments and organization.
- Ability to communicate and work side by side with the customer on a regular basis.
About the Company
Founded in 1934, The Morey Corporation is a family owned, privately held, a global leader in designing and manufacturing innovative technology solutions in the Wireless Communications, IoT (Internet of Things) and Fuel Efficiency sectors. We offer our clients the flexibility of a small firm as well as the stability and capabilities of a large firm. Morey serves as a scalable partner to the Fortune 500 and other industry-leading global OEMs, Tier Ones and Technology firms -- providing the technology needed to connect and integrate remote assets with analytical platforms to help customers collect the data they need to create strategic business growth while driving down costs and downtime.
Everything we do eventually leads to the production of high-quality electronics. Each day, hundreds of skilled professionals arrive to design, build, test and ship thousands of pieces for our diverse, global customer base.
To ensure the quality of our products, the success of our customers and the safety of our workforce, we invest in a 24/7 manufacturing environment inside our corporate campus in suburban Chicago.
Morey Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran
Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test.