The Director of Engineering (DoE), Water DB & Mining has the overall responsibility for the management of all of DB and Mining engineering activities including studies, design, engineering services during construction and project closeout. The DoE will serve in a matrix (dotted line) leadership role with Water Americas DB & Mining.
This position will identify the engineering and design discipline leads that will reside within the Water DB and Mining groups and will be their direct report.
- Develop policies, procedures and tools to drive efficiency and quality in the execution of Design-Build and Mining engineering and design activities and ensure they are implemented consistently.
- Shape, sponsor and personally invest in the development of DB and Mining engineering professionals. This includes workforce planning, recruiting, resource sharing across B&V, training and development.
- Coordinate and collaborate with all other groups within the Water DB and Mining teams and across B&V through proposal development, engineering and design development, construction, startup and commissioning and closeout
- Support the Managing Director of Design-Build Operations in the promotion of initiatives within the DB and Mining groups intended to improve performance and ensure compliance with requirements.
- Identify resources and organizational structure to satisfy the business needs for pursuit and design of projects based upon forecasted workloads. Lead in accomplishing any identified changes.
- Hire, train, develop and assign engineering and design lead staff on Water Americas and Mining projects.
- Works with the Estimating Manager, Proposal/Pursuit Manager to determine what level of design is required for a proposal.
- Manages overall design costs and engineering services to meet or exceed established budgets.
- Manages the development of designs, obtaining engineering resources as needed and ensuring design is developed in accordance with RFP requirements and approved pursuit budget.
- Reviews the RFP and proposed contract and determines project design requirements. Shall have a thorough knowledge of the contract and Black & Veatch's responsibilities thereunder.
- Coordinates with the Estimating, Construction, Operations team members to ensure proposed design is competitive while meeting project requirements without providing uncalled for enhancements unless the project team decides those enhancements are key to a Win.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and updating the Design Execution Plan template. Reviews and refines the plan as the project progresses.
- Manages the Design Quality Control process and ensures all design documents are properly QC'd and that all drawings, calculations, records and other documents have been prepared, checked and filed in accordance with company policy.
- Ensures that Change Management is properly executed for design and engineering activities.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 15 years related work experience. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong technical knowledge of tools, processes, and procedures for engineering design delivery aspects, including areas such as quality management, business excellence, policies, standards, and contractual commitments for alternative delivery type projects (Design-Build)
- Strong knowledge of risk management and commercial issues for alternative delivery projects.
- Strong Water and Mining industry knowledge, including direct experience with equipment manufacturers/suppliers and supply chain.
- Knowledge of Company programs, policies, standards, procedures, processes and organizational structure.
- Ability to communicate effectively to diverse, Global resources, convey and provide accountability for delivering key business unit strategies, and provide follow-thru on measuring that desired outcomes are achieved.
- Strong problem solving skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve).
- Conflict Management Skills.
- Leadership ability (team building, coaching, mentoring, change management, advising).
Most positions - depending on the nature of work performed as defined by the division - will typically require incumbents to have professional registration or licensure in their designated home office country, or be in active pursuit* of such registration
Builds effective teams
Drives vision and purpose
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office environment. May be subject to extreme cold (temperatures below 30 degrees for periods of more than one hour), extreme heat (temperatures above 90 degrees for periods of more than one hour), hazards (electrical currents, working on scaffold
- Normal office environment with extensive electronic & telecommunications required
- Internal Client Meetings after normal working hours required
- Domestic Travel , with airline/airport time outside of regular working hours
- Typical construction site environment (regularly)
- Domestic Travel, up to 80%